What is Dermatology/Cosmetology?
They are the branches of medicine which deal with the diagnosis and treatment of the disorders of the skin, hair and nails.
What Are The Doctors of Dermatology/Cosmetology Called?
A dermatologist or a cosmetologist is a skin specialist who is responsible for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases affecting the skin, mucous membranes, hair and nails.
When Is It Time To See A Dermatologist/Cosmetologist?
Living in Pakistan, we are used to using home treatments and self-diagnosis when it comes to spots on our skin or hair-loss which cannot be explained. But we need to come out of the shadows and promote awareness among people about common diseases. These diseases may be manifesting itself in forms of small blot on the skin and if they are not shown to the doctor timely, may develop into a critical disease. Therefore if you have any of the signs or symptoms listed below, you should see a dermatologist right away!
- Profuse sweating
- Recurrent or persistent rashes
- Sudden or extreme hair loss
- Unusual looking moles or freckles
- Yellow or brittle nails
- Scars and rashes that take time to go away
- Rough, scaly skin patches
- Lumps, bumps, sores that are changing or growing
- Persistent skin growths like sores, warts that bleed, itch and crust
- Acne in the form of tiny red bumps or dots all over your face
- Skin disorders (redness, blisters and flaking) which don’t heal
- Abnormal discoloration of the skin
What do the Dermatologists/Cosmetologists Treat?
- Skin cancer
- Rubeola (Measles)
- Bumps and Growth
- Dermatitis (Eczema)
- Hemangioma of Skin
- Cold Sore
- Dyshidrotic Eczema
- Seborrheic Eczema
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Cutaneous Candidiasis
- Cutis Laxa
- Decubitus Ulcer
- Diaper Rash
- Canker Sore
- Herpes Stomatitis
- Fungal Nail Infection
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Molluscum Contagiosum
- Ingrown Nails
- Sebaceous Cyst
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Pilonidal Sinus
- Lichen Planus
- Actinic Keratosis
- Stasis Dermatitis and Leg Ulcers
- Corns and Calluses
- Tinea Versicolor
- Mouth Ulcers