What is Ophthalmology?
It is the branch of medicine which deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the eye and the entire visual system.
What Are The Doctors Of Ophthalmology Called?
An ophthalmologist or an osteopathic doctor is specialized in eye and vision care by performing eye exams, diagnosing and treating concerned diseases and prescribing medications accordingly. They are also specialized in carrying out eye surgeries.
Optometrists are healthcare professionals responsible for primary vision care and are trained to provide services including sight testing and correction, diagnosis, treatment and management of all vision changes
Opticians are medical technicians trained to design, verify and fit eyeglasses lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other tools for correcting eyesight.
When Is It A Good Time To See An Ophthalmologist?
- Loss of vision or decreased vision in one or both of the eyes.
- Sudden changes in vision such as sudden spots, flashes of light, lightning streaks or jagged lines of light, wavy or watery vision, blurry faces, distortions or wavy lines, haloes around lights, double vision.
- Changes in the field of vision such as shadows, curtain-like loss of vision, black spots or blurriness in central or peripheral (side) vision.
- Physical changes to the eye such as crossed eyes, eyes that turn in, out, up or down, pain, signs of infection (redness, swelling, discharge, etc.).
- Changes in color vision.
- People with diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatological diseases such as lupus for a detailed eye-examination.
- Anyone with a tendency toward high intraocular pressure.
- Anyone with a family history of glaucoma, cataract, macular degeneration, or retinal detachment.
- Anyone with a previous eye injury.
- People taking certain medications (Plaquanil, Prednisone, Ethambutol are just a few of the medications that can affect the eyes — always ask your prescribing physician if vision can be affected by the meds you take).
- People already experiencing poor eyesight from any other causes such as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.
What Do The Doctors Of Ophthalmology Treat?
The diseases with regards to the eyes which may need proper diagnosis and treatment include:
- Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
- Bulging Eyes
- CMV Retinitis
- Color Blindness
- Crossed Eyes (Strabismus)
- Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
- Eye Floaters and Eye Flashes
- Lazy Eye
- Low Vision
- Ocular Hypertension
- Retinal Detachment
- Eyelid Twitching
Now you can find best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeon in all major cities of Pakistan
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Lahore
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Karachi
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Islamabad
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Faisalabad
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Rawalpindi
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Multan
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Sargodha
Find Best Ophthalmologist/Eye Surgeons in Peshawar