What is Cardiology?
It is the branch of medicine which deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of the diseases and abnormalities of the heart, blood vessels and rest of the cardiovascular system.
What are the Doctors of Cardiology Called?
A cardiologist is a doctor with training for treating and preventing diseases of the heart, blood vessels and the cardiovascular system.
Clinical cardiologists are those cardiologists which have the skill-set to diagnose and treat the diseases of the cardiovascular system whereas the interventional cardiologists are educated and trained for preventing and treating the diseases of the entire cardiovascular system. They also specialize in interventional procedures (balloon angioplasty and stent placement), echocardiography or electrophysiology (Electrophysiologists).
Furthermore, there are pediatric cardiologists/surgeons who diagnose and treat heart problems in children and those who carry out similar medical procedures in adults are also often referred to as adult cardiac surgeons.
When Is It Time To See A Cardiologist?
Common symptoms that should raise an alarm in your head that it is time to see a cardiologist include:
1. Severe pressure, squeezing, pain or discomfort in the chest
2. Pain or discomfort that spreads into the shoulders, neck, arms, or jaw
3. Chest pain that becomes more intense
4. Chest pain that isn’t relieved by rest
5. Chest pain combined with the following symptoms:
6. Pain in the jaw, neck, upper back, and/or chest
7. Hoarseness because of pressure on the vocal cords
8. Difficulty swallowing
9. Heart palpitations
11. Low blood pressure
What do the Cardiologists Treat?
Any of the above symptoms can tell you if your heart is under stress or some medical condition is developing inside your body. You should consult the nearest cardiologists for a detailed check-up/ examination to improve your lifestyle. The diseases which are common to the cardiovascular system include:
1. Abnormal Heart Rhythms
2. Coronary Artery Disease
3. Atherosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis and Arteriolosclerosis
4. Heart Valve Disease
5. Congenital Heart Disease
7. Pericarditis and Endocarditis
8. Aorta Disease and Marfan Syndrome
9. Ischemic Heart Disease
10. Cerebrovascular Disease (Stroke)
11. Peripheral Vascular Disease
12. Heart Failure
13. Rheumatic Heart Disease
15. Aortic Dissection and Aneurysm
16. Cardiac Dysrhythmias and Tachycardias
17. Acyanotic Heart Disease
18. Cyanotic Heart Disease
Now you can find best Cardiologist near you in all major cities of Pakistan