Disprin tablet containing aspirin is a prescription medicine used to relieve pain such as toothache, headache, menstrual pain, fever, and swelling. Disprin tablet uses also include prophylaxis for heart attack, stroke, and angina. It also reduces inflammation in rheumatic diseases.
Disprin is marketed by Reckitt Benckiser.
Disprin tablet’s generic is aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and is an FDA-approved medicine belonging to the class of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Disprin works by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins in the body which reduces pain and inflammation. It inhibits an enzyme cox-1 in the body resulting in reduced platelet formation thus contributing to its effect in heart diseases by preventing blood clot formation.
The tablet is available in the following different forms;
- Water dispersible tablet (effervescent tablet)
- Disprin melt or direct (Melts on the tongue without water)
- Disprin CV (particularly designed for cardiovascular uses)
What is the Disprin tablet strength?
The Disprin tablet is available in 100 mg, 300 mg, 325 mg, and 500 mg (Disprin extra) strengths.
Disprin tablet uses
Disprin tablet is prescribed for a number of conditions including;
- Pain and inflammation: Disprin tablet is indicated for use in headaches, migraine, symptomatic treatment of toothache after surgery, neck pain, sciatica, muscular pains, and joint stiffness
- Dysmenorrhea: Disprin tablet uses in dysmenorrhea is quite common. It helps reduce the painful sensations and cramps during menstruation
- Arthritis: Disprin is an anti-inflammatory drug that is indicated to reduce pain and joint swelling in rheumatic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Fever: Disprin is used to treat fever, flu, and cold caused by the influenza virus. It reduces the inflammation and pain during these conditions by blocking the prostaglandin synthesis
- Relieve strains and sprains: Any injury to the joints, muscles, and bones results in inflammation, stiffness, and pain. Disprin tablet is used to treat such conditions
- Prevention of heart diseases like angina, myocardial infarction, and strokes: Aspirin has been indicated to prevent cardiovascular risks for a long. It reduces blood clot formation by inhibiting the cyclooxygenase enzyme in the body. This blood thinning property makes Disprin suitable for the prophylaxis of angina, stroke, and cardiovascular risks.
- Hip replacement surgery: Disprin is used after the hip replacement surgery to prevent the formation of thromboembolism as this medicine reduces the blood clot formation
What is the price of a Disprin tablet in Pakistan?
The price of a Disprin tablet in Pakistan ranges between 1-2 PKR / tablet. The price may vary depending on the strength and manufacturer of the tablet.
How to take a Disprin tablet?
- Disprin tablet is a prescription oral drug hence it should only be used according to the doctor’s advice
- Dispersible tablets should not be chewed. Dissolve the tablet in a small amount of water
- A Disprin melt tablet is placed on the tongue without water. These tablets can also be chewed
- Take the medicine with or after the food as it may cause stomach irritation
- Do not use the Disprin tablet longer than the prescribed time.
Dosage of Disprin tablet
Take the medicine as prescribed by the doctor. However, it is recommended to take 300 mg of aspirin for pain relief according to the following schedule;
For adults >16 years, take one to three tablets every 4-6 hours.
Do not exceed a maximum of 13 tablets per day.
What are the side effects of the Disprin tablet?
Possible side effects associated with Disprin include;
- Nausea and vomiting
- Intestinal discomfort
- Bleeding and ulcerations
- Dry mouth
- Tinnitus (ringing ears)
- Breathing difficulties
Contact the doctor immediately if any of these conditions appear to avoid serious life-threatening complications.
Interactions of Disprin with other medicines
Inform the doctor about all the prescription, over-the-counter, and herbal medicines that you are taking before using the Disprin tablet as significant drug interactions can result in adverse effects.
Disprin tablets can interact with drugs including;
- Blood thinners such as aspirin
- Vitamin E
- Certain corticosteroids
- Antidepressants like fluoxetine
Also, consult the doctor if you have taken any vaccine recently as Disprin can interact with certain vaccines such as the flu vaccine.
Warnings and precautions associated with Disprin use
The special warnings and precautions limiting the Disprin tablet use are;
- Disprin is strictly contraindicated in children under 16 years
- Do not use the medicine if the patient is allergic to aspirin as it may aggravate hypersensitivity reactions
- Do not use the medicine if you have stomach or intestinal ulceration like peptic ulcer as it increases the risk of bleeding
- Use with caution if you have kidney problems
- Aspirin may cause liver toxicity so it should be was taken with caution in liver diseases
- Avoid the medicine in pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Do not use the medicine in patients with severe heart failure
- Disprin is contraindicated in people with bleeding disorders such as hemophilia
- Gout patients should avoid taking aspirin
- Patients with uncontrolled hypertension should avoid blood thinners like aspirin
- Do not use the medicine for a prolonged duration without a prescription.
Is it safe to use Disprin tablets during pregnancy?
Disprin tablets are strictly contraindicated in the third trimester of pregnancy and must be avoided in the first and second trimesters. It is placed in pregnancy category C during the first two trimesters and category D during the last trimester. It increases the time of labor and also increases the risks of bleeding in mothers and children.
Disprin should also be avoided in breastfeeding women as it passes in the breast milk.
What are the effects of a Disprin overdose?
Acute and chronic toxicity of Disprin can lead to serious complications that affect different body organs including;
- Central nervous system
- Causes gastrointestinal bleeding
- Pulmonary system complications
- Cardiac failure
- Ringing in ears and
- Loss of consciousness
Missed Disprin dose
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the time for the next dose is near, avoid taking two doses at a time. Skip the dose in this case and take the usual upcoming dose.
However, it is recommended to take the medicines at the prescribed time.
What are the available alternatives to the Disprin tablet in Pakistan?
Medicines with generic aspirin can be used as an alternative to Disprin. They include;
How to store a Disprin tablet?
- Store the tablet at a cool place below 25°C
- Keep the tablet in a dry place away from sunlight
- Keep the medicines out of the reach of the children
1. Is Disprin safe to use?
Aspirin-containing Disprin is a well-tolerated medicine in all individuals imparting minimum side effects except for those allergic to aspirin. However, it should be avoided in patients with ulceration or bleeding disorders
2. Are Disprin and Aspirin the same?
Disprin is the brand name of the drug containing aspirin. They both are the same drugs belonging to the class of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used in prophylaxis of stroke and to relieve pain and inflammation.
3. Does Disprin make you sleepy?
Disprin does not cause drowsiness or sleepiness as it has no effect on the central nervous system. However, do not exceed the recommended dose and follow the prescription to avoid adverse effects.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.