Dobutamine is a medication commonly used to treat heart failure, heart attack, and septic shock. It is a synthetic catecholamine that stimulates certain receptors in the body to increase heart rate, blood pressure, and cardiac output.
In this article, we will discuss the uses, side effects, mode of action, storage of dobutamine, and some important precautions to take when using this medication.
Dobutamine is a synthetic catecholamine used primarily in the treatment of cardiac failure. It is a potent positive inotropic agent that increases cardiac contractility and stroke volume.
Marketed By: ABBOTT LABORATORIES (PAKISTAN) LTD
Drug Class: Cardiac Stimulant
Product Form: Injection
Pack Size: 1Ampx20ml
What is the price of a Dobutamine in Pakistan?
The price of a Dobutamine in Pakistan ranges between 400-445 PKR/injection. The price may vary depending on the strength and manufacturer of the injection.
What are the Uses of Dobutamine?
The common uses of dobutamine include:
- It is typically used in combination with other drugs such as diuretics, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, and beta-blockers.
- Dobutamine is also used to treat shock resulting from septic or cardiogenic states.
- It is often used in combination with dopamine and epinephrine to increase circulation and stabilize the patient’s vital signs.
What are the Side Effects of Dobutamine?
While dobutamine can be an effective treatment, it may also cause a range of side effects, including:
- Increased heart rate
- Chest pain
- Difficulty sleeping
Other side effects may include:
- Reduced blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
More serious side effects of dobutamine can include:
- High blood sugar
- Low potassium levels
Caution: It is important to discuss any side effects you experience with your cardiologist, and to contact your doctor immediately if you experience any serious or life-threatening side effects.
What is the Mode of Action of Dobutamine?
Dobutamine is a synthetic catecholamine used for its positive inotropic and chronotropic effects in the treatment of heart failure and cardiogenic shock.
It works by stimulating both β1- and β2-adrenergic receptors, which increases both heart rate and cardiac contractility. This leads to an increase in cardiac output, which helps to improve hemodynamic parameters and oxygen delivery to the tissues.
Dobutamine also has mild peripheral vasodilatory effects, which further improve oxygen delivery.
It is most commonly used as an inotropic agent for patients with acute heart failure, cardiogenic shock, and postoperative low cardiac output states.
How to Store Dobutamine?
It is important to store dobutamine properly in order to maintain its efficacy. Follow these instructions in order to store dobutamine including:
- Dobutamine should be stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep the medication in its original container and store it in a cool, dry place that is out of reach of children and pets.
- Check the expiration date on the container for the medication to ensure it is still safe for use.
- Proper storage of dobutamine is essential for maintaining its effectiveness and safety.
What are the Precautions for using Dobutamine?
This medication should be used with caution, as it may cause side effects.
- Patients should be monitored closely while taking this medication and should report any side effects to their doctor immediately.
- It is important to take dobutamine only as directed by a cardiologist and to never take more than the recommended dosage.
- Patients should also avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while taking dobutamine.
- When used correctly and with proper precautions, dobutamine can be a useful tool for managing cardiac conditions.
Attention! Patients should let their cardiologist know if they have any other medical conditions or are taking other medications, as these may interact with dobutamine.
It is important to consult with your cardiologist in Lahore to make sure dobutamine is the right choice for you.
1. Is it safe to self-administer dobutamine ?
You are strictly advised to consult with your cardiologist before using this medicine.
2. Are there any lab tests or vitals that we should perform while using this medication?
It is recommended to monitor blood pressure and have electrolytes tested. In case of irregularities, inform your cardiologist immediately.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.