Lomotil tablet is a prescription medicine containing diphenoxylate and atropine. It is used to treat diarrhea and its symptoms by reducing the stomach pain and the frequency of bowel movements. Diphenoxylate reduces intestinal movements while atropine imparts anticholinergic properties to dry the body fluids and reduce spasms.
We will discuss Lomotil’s applications, adverse effects, and its price in Pakistan in this article.
The tablet is marketed under the brand name Lomotil marketed by Pfizer INC. In order to treat diarrhea in adults and children who are 13 years of age or older, doctors frequently prescribe the anti-diarrhea medication Lomotil.
Atropine and diphenoxylate are the two active components combined in this medication. Diphenoxylate works similarly to opioids and relieves pain but the primary effect is to slow down intestinal movements to treat diarrhea.
Atropine belongs to the drug class of anticholinergics that work by drying the body fluids and reducing spasms in the stomach.
What is the Price of Lomotil in Pakistan?
In Pakistan, Lomotil costs between 10-20 PKR for 20 tablets. The price varies depending on the manufacturer of the tablet. It is available both online and at pharmacies. You can use the Marham app to purchase Lomotil tablets online.
Uses of Lomotil
The following are the uses of Lomotil;
- For the treatment of diarrhea
- To reduce bowel movements
- To reduce spasms in the stomach
However, please note that the diarrhea brought on by some infections (such as C. difficile-associated diarrhea following antibiotic therapy) should not be treated with this drug.
Side effects of Lomotil
The following are some of the frequent side effects of Lomotil:
- Loss of appetite
- Vomiting and nausea
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Rashes on the skin
The side effects of Lomotil typically disappear on their own within a few days without the need for medical treatment. But if your symptoms continue, be sure to see a doctor online right away. Due to an increased risk of major side effects (including breathing issues), this drug is not advised for use in children under the age of 6 years.
When should you not use Lomotil?
Lomotil should not be administered to “children younger than 6 years of age” since it may have highly negative adverse effects, that may include; respiratory issues, coma, and even death.
Other details about Lomotil
The list of vital information about Lomotil includes;
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Do not store it in the bathroom.
- Do not freeze the liquid.
- Keep all medications away from children and pets.
- Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed.
- Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed.
- Keep items in a dark, dry place at room temperature.
- The severity of your condition (number and consistency of bowel movements)and how well you respond to Lomotil will determine how much medication you need.
- You should complete the medication’s recommended course as directed by your doctor.
- If you stop the medication before the prescribed schedule, your symptoms may return.
- Drug interactions can alter how your prescriptions operate or raise your risk for serious adverse effects.
- Keep track of all the prescription, over-the-counter, and herbal treatments that you are taking, and give your doctor and pharmacist a copy of this list.
- Without your doctor’s permission, you should never start, stop, or modify the dosage of any medications.
- Studies showed that methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, and MAO inhibitors (isocarboxazid, linezolid, and moclobemide), among others, may interact with this drug.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medications that make you drowsy, such as opioid pain relievers, alcohol, marijuana, or cough suppressants, such as codeine, hydrocodone, and marijuana.
- Examine the labels on all of your medications, especially allergy, cold, and cough drugs, as they may contain drowsiness-inducing substances.
Consult a pharmacist for more safety and precautionary tips regarding the use of this medicine.
Lomotil in pregnancy
Lomotil is placed in pregnancy category C which states that limited data is available on the safety profile of the drug and it may impart teratogenic effects. However, if the benefits of the medicine outweigh the risks, your doctor may recommend the medicine. If you are breastfeeding, contact your doctor before using Lomotil.
Please talk to your doctor before using this medication if you have;
- An obstruction in your digestive tract
Substitutes of Lomotil
Here is a list of drugs that can be used in place of Lomotil.
- Imodium A-D
Marham’s online services for delivering medicines
Marham provides medicine delivery services to serve you at your doorstep. To order the Lomotil tablet for diarrhea online, use Marham’s prescription delivery services.
1. Are Lomotil and Imodium the same thing?
Imodium and Lomotil are not the same. Lomotil needs a prescription in order to be purchased, even though they function similarly while Imodium is available over the counter.
2. Is Lomotil good for diarrhea?
Diarrhea is treated with the Lomotil tablet. It treats diarrheal symptoms such as stomach aches, cramps, and loose stools. Lomotil is taken with or without food as directed by your doctor.
3. How long does it take for Lomotil to work?
After taking Lomotil for 48 hours, your symptoms start to get better. It implies that you need to notice adjustments in the firmness (firmer) and frequency (lesser) of your stools. Consult your doctor if the symptoms do not resolve within 48 hours.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.