Pataday eye drops containing ‘olopatadine’ are used to treat eye irritations and sensitivity due to allergies. They are sold over the counter with different brand names like Patanol and Pazeo.
About Pataday eye drops
The solution contains olopatadine hydrochloride solution and belongs to the antihistamine class. This ophthalmic solution treats allergic conjunctivitis and allergic rhinitis symptoms. Olapatadine inhibits the release of histamine from mast cells.
Histamine is a chemical messenger released as a result of an allergen exposed to the body and the symptoms of allergy like eye irritation and redness occurs. Blocking the histamine release by Pataday eye drops treats allergic symptoms.
These are manufactured by Alcon.
These ophthalmic drops come in different strengths;
They are available over the counter and are approved by the FDA.
Cost of Pataday eye drops in Pakistan
The cost of Pataday eye drops in Pakistan varies according to the manufacturer and strength of the drops. The price range varies from 300-500 rupees.
Indications of Use
They are available for use as an over-the-counter medicine or as prescribed by your doctor or ophthalmologist.
They are used for treating;
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Itchy eyes
- Eyes irritation
- Eye redness
- Eye watering
- Burning sensations in the eyes
This medication is not recommended for the treatment of sensitivity caused by wearing contact lenses.
How to use Pataday eye drops
They are available over-the-counter. Read the instructions carefully, before use. For prescription usage, follow the dosage:
- Wash your hands and remove contact lenses (if any).
- Open the bottle of the eye drops. Don’t touch the tip of the dropper.
- Tilt your head a little upward and backward. Use the other hand to slightly pull your lower eyelid down.
- Put one drop in each affected eye twice a day or as prescribed.
- Close your eye softly and place gentle pressure with a finger for 1 to 2 mins at the end of the eye, close to the nose. This will prevent the solution from draining out.
- Try not to blink or rub your eyes immediately after the use of drops.
- Replace the dropper cap properly and repeat the same process every time for use.
- Wait for 5-10 mins if you are using any other eye drops or ophthalmic ointments.
- Wait for 15 mins before replacing your lenses (if applicable).
Dosage of Pataday eye drops
Side effects of Pataday eye drops
The following side effects have been reported in less than 5% of the patients:
Ocular side effects may include;
- Eyelid edema
- Blurred vision
- Painful sensations
- Dry eyes
Non-ocular side effects include;
- Back pain
- Taste perversion
Interactions of Pataday eye drops
The ophthalmic solution may interact with;
- Antidepressants (bupropion)
- Sleepiness in narcolepsy medicine (Pitolisant)
- Certain medications used to treat dementia
Let your doctor or pharmacist know of any herbal or non-herbal medicines you are taking.
- Pataday eye drops are for ophthalmic use only
- Do not use them as an injectable or for oral use
- These drops are not indicated for contact lenses sensitivity
- The tip of the dropper should be kept sterile to avoid contamination
- These are not recommended for children under 3 years of age
- Avoid using it while driving as it may cause blurred vision
Pataday eye drops in pregnancy
There is no well-reported data about the contraindication of Pataday eye drops in human pregnancy. However, animal studies report potential harm to the growing fetus.
The drug is classed in Category C for pregnancy and, thus, should be avoided.
Overdose of Pataday eye drops
The ophthalmic overdose of Pataday eye drops is not dangerous. However, seek help and professional advice.
Oral overdose, however, is a severe emergency and should be reported immediately.
Missed dosage of Pataday eye drops
Missed dosage of Pataday eye drops doesn’t cause any serious concern.
However, try to follow the prescription or recommended dosage strictly.
- Ketorolac ophthalmic solution
- Pazeo ophthalmic solution
- Acular ophthalmic solution
- Alrex ophthalmic suspension
- Store in a cool dry place
- Avoid contamination
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children
Marham’s Online Services for Delivering Medicines
Now that you know all about the Pataday eye drops, Marham is here for you; you can purchase Pataday eye drops using Marham’s online medicine delivery services after consulting the best doctors for eye irritation or related symptoms.
1. What are Pataday eye drops good for?
Pataday ophthalmic solution is used over the counter to treat symptoms like ocular irritation or eye redness due to an allergic response.
2. Can I use Pataday eye drops daily?
Pataday one-day relief and one-day extra strength should be used once a day while Pataday twice-a-day drops are used twice a day every 6-8 hours until symptoms resolve or as prescribed.
3. How long do Pataday eye drops take to work?
Pataday eye drops take 30 min until the onset of action.