Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory or immuno-suppressive drug from the class of corticosteroids. Prednisone is used to treat multiple conditions such as severe allergies, skin diseases, blood disorders, eye problems, immunity-related disorders, and breathing issues.
In this article, we will discuss a brief overview of Prednisone, its uses, side-effects, and price.
The brief description of Prednisone is given below:
Marketed By: Ethical Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Drug Class: Corticosteroid
Product Form: Tablets
Pack Size: 30’s
Total Units: 30 Tablets
Uses of Prednisone:
Some major uses of prednisone are given below:
- Prednisone has been used to prevent the release of substances that can cause inflammation in the body.
- Prednisone may also be used to treat symptoms of certain types of cancer.
- It is sometimes used along with antibiotics to treat specific types of pneumonia in people with HIV/AIDS.
- It is also used alone or in combination with other drugs to treat symptoms of low corticosteroid levels.
- Prednisone may also help avoid organ rejection after a kidney transplant because of its ability to lower the response of the immune system to a transplanted kidney. The body recognizes the transplanted organ as a foreign object, thus triggering a response by the body’s immune system.
Prednisone is also used to manage or treat kidney disorders, including:
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) – A disease in which tissue scars are developed on the small parts (glomeruli) of the kidney.
- Minimal change disease (MCD) – A kidney disease in which large amounts of protein are lost in the urine.
- IGA Nephropathy: It is a condition that damages the glomeruli and can cause kidney disease.
What is the price of prednisone in Pakistan?
The cost of a 10 mg prednisone oral tablet is about 30-35 PKR per tablet.
When should you take prednisone?
Taking prednisone in the morning with breakfast will not upset your stomach and is less likely to affect sleep.
Prednisone tablets can be taken with or without food if they are labeled “enteric-coated” or “gastrointestinal resistant”, but must be swallowed whole. Do not take indigestion drugs for 2 hours before and after taking the enteric-coated tablet or gastrointestinal-resistant tablet.
Taking prednisone in the evening can cause insomnia and sleeplessness.
Dose of oral prednisone:
10 to 60 mg/day given in a single daily dose or 2 to 4 divided doses; low dose: 2.5 to 10 mg/day; high dose: 1 to 1.5 mg/kg/day (usually not to exceed 80 to 100 mg/day).
Drug interaction associated with prednisone:
There are many drugs that can affect the way prednisone works or can increase the risk of side effects, especially anti-inflammatory pain relievers such as ibuprofen and aspirin.
It is recommended to practice caution while using prednisone with the following drugs:
- Vaccine Rotavirus
Additionally, you should avoid taking this medicine with certain foods. Interactions may also occur if you use alcohol or tobacco along with certain drugs. Talk to your healthcare professional about possible drug interactions.
Is it safe to use prednisone during pregnancy?
Prednisone can be taken during pregnancy. It is sometimes associated with problems in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and possible effects on the baby’s growth, but generally the benefits of taking it outweigh the risks.
What are the available alternatives to prednisone in Pakistan?
Following is the list of alternative options;
What are the side effects of prednisone?
Prednisone can cause the following side effects;
- Severe headache
- Mood swings
- Mild acne on the face
- Problems sleeping (insomnia)
- Changes in appetite
- Weight gain
- Swelling (face, arms, hands, legs, or feet)
Precautions associated with prednisone
- If you are taking this medicine for a long duration, it is important to check with your doctor for any unwanted side effects. Blood or urine tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
- Consult your doctor immediately about any health issues and emotional stress. Your doctor may alter the dosage of this medication depending on your condition.
- Prednisone may cause changes in mood or behavior in some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you have depression, mood changes, a false or unusual sense of well-being, trouble sleeping, or personality changes while taking this medicine.
- Long-term use of this medicine may cause thinning of bones (osteoporosis) or slow growth in children. Tell your doctor if you have bone pain or if you are at high risk for osteoporosis. If your child is using this medicine, tell your doctor if you think your child is showing the signs of stunted development.
- Do not take any other drug along with this medicine without consulting your doctor. This includes prescription or over-the-counter [OTC] medications and herbal or vitamin supplements.
How to store prednisone?
You can store prednisone in airtight containers at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of children.
Marham Online Services for delivery of medicines
You can now get prednisone tablets delivered at your doorstep through Marham’s online medicine delivery services.
1. Can you stop taking the prednisone suddenly?
If you have been taking prednisone for more than a week, your healthcare provider will help you reduce your medication dose gradually. Sudden stopping of the medicine can cause harm to the adrenal glands. It is important to talk to your pharmacist or healthcare provider if you are unsure of when or how to stop a medication.
2. Can you take alcohol with prednisone?
Although there is no direct drug interaction between prednisone and alcohol, it is not a good idea to mix them together, as some of the effects of alcohol and the side effects of prednisone are similar, so taking the two at the same time may increase the risk of these side effects.