Sinemet Tablet uses include Parkinson’s disease and is a prescription drug. It belongs to the class of Decarboxylase inhibitors containing a combination of carbidopa and levodopa. Sinemet tablet is also prescribed to treat symptoms similar to parkinsonism( tremors, stiffness, shaking, slowness of movement) caused by a brain injury or carbon monoxide overdose.
Sinemet tablet is marketed by MERCK Uses, Side effects, indications and tablet price is discussed further:
About Sinemet tablet
The tablet comes in strength of 25/100 (25mg carbidopa and 100mg levodopa) , 10/100( 10mg carbidopa and 100mg levodopa) and 25/250 (27mg carbidopa equivalent to 25mg anhydrous carbidopa and 250mg levodopa). The symptoms of Parkinson’s disease appear due to the lack of a hormone, dopamine, reaching the brain.
Dopamine can not cross the blood-brain barrier so a substance, levodopa, is given. Carbidopa, a combination substance of Sinemet tablet, prevents levodopa from being broken down before it reaches the brain and also prevents levodopa-induced nausea and vomiting.
Sinemet tablet price in Pakistan
Several companies in Pakistan manufacture Sinemet tablets. The cost normally ranges between 20-30 Pkr per tablet.
Sinemet tablet Uses or Indications :
Sinemet tablet is prescribed for these uses :
- Parkinson’s disease (PD) . Other uses of Sinemet Tablet involve treating;
- Parkinson like symptoms
- Difficult movement
- Loss of balance
- Coordination difficulties
How to use the Sinemet tablet
- Sinemet tablet is used orally ( by mouth) with water
- It can be taken with or without food
- Do not chew the tablet
- Don’t break the tablet if it is unscored
- Take Sinemet tablet at regular intervals to maintain steady blood concentration
Dosage of Sinemet tablet
Sinemet tablets may be immediate-release tablets (IR) or sustained-release tablets(CR). Type of the tablet prescribed depends upon the targeted therapeutic goals.
The optimum daily Dosage of Sinemet tablets is decided by your doctor through careful titration. The dosage can be increased by one tablet per day or one tablet every other day as prescribed by your doctor.
Self-medication is strictly not advised.
Side effects of Sinemet tablet
Call your doctor or pharmacist immediately if you develop allergy reactions or any other side effects using the Sinemet tablet:
- Uncontrolled movements in your face ( eye twitching, lip movements, blinking)
- Uncontrolled shaking (tremors)
- Severe or worsening vomiting or diarrhoea
- Suicidal thoughts
- Dry mouth
- Discolouration of body fluids ( urine, sweat, saliva)
Drug interactions with Sinemet tablet
Sinemet tablet interacts with ;
- MAO inhibitors
- BP lowering medicines
- Antiepileptic drugs like phenytoin
- Iron supplements
- Certain herbal medicines
Food interactions can also interfere with the Sinemet tablet;
- High protein foods like eggs, chicken, and greek yoghurt.
Before using the Sinemet tablet, Tell your doctor or pharmacist if :
- You have narrow-angle glaucoma
- Have used MAO inhibitors in the last 14 days
- You have liver or kidney diseases
- You have stomach ulcers
- Depression or other mental illness
- This is a prescription drug and should not be used without a prescription by your doctor or pharmacist
Sinemet tablet in pregnancy
Sinemet tablets fall in Category C and are not safe if you are pregnant.
Contact your doctor for further advice on the risks of using Sinemet tablets during pregnancy.
Overdose of Sinemet tablet
Overdose of Sinemet tablet causes:
- Arrhythmias ( irregular heartbeat)
- Trouble breathing
Caution: Immediately contact your doctor or pharmacist if an overdose occurs.
Missed dosage of Sinemet tablet
- Try not to miss the dose
- If a dose is missed, take it immediately as you recall
- If the time of the next dose is near, don’t take a double dose.
Alternatives of Sinemet Tablet
Alternatives providing the Sinemet Tablet uses can be used as a substitute :
Storage of Sinemet tablet
- Protect the tablet from direct sunlight
- Keep in a cool dry place
- Keep medicines out of the reach of children
Refer your doctor for more details on Sinemet tablet off-label uses, specific side effects etc
Marham’s Online Services for Delivering Medicines
Now that you know all about the Sinemet tablet uses, Side effects and cost, Marham is here for you; you can purchase Sinemet using Marham’s online medicine delivery services by consulting the best doctors for Parkinson’s disease or related symptoms in Pakistan.
1- What is Sinemet Tablet used for?
Sinemet Tablet uses involves the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and also the symptoms similar to Parkinsonism like tremors, Stiffness, and shakiness.
2- What is the best way to take Sinemet tablet?
The best way to take the Sinemet tablet is by mouth before or after meals, as prescribed by your physician. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
3- How quickly does Sinemet Tablet work?
Sinemet tablet takes 30 mins to reach its peak concentration for immediate-release medicine. The extended-release tablet reaches its peak in about 2 hours.