Amoxicillin is a prescription medication from the class of antibiotics and is used to treat the symptoms of numerous bacterial infections, including ear, nose, throat, skin, and urinary tract infections as well as tonsillitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Amoxil can be taken by itself or in combination with other drugs. However, it should always be taken after a doctor’s consultation.
We will discuss amoxicillin capsule uses, negative effects, and price in Pakistan in this article.
About Amoxicillin Capsule
Amoxicillin is a member of the class of drugs referred to as penicillin antibiotics. This medication prevents the growth of bacteria and kills them. Bacterial infections can affect different areas of the body, and amoxicillin is used to treat them.
Additionally, it is used with other medications (such as lansoprazole or clarithromycin) to treat duodenal ulcers and H. pylori infections. However, this medication won’t help with the flu, the common cold, or other viral infections.
It can be purchased only when you have a prescription from your doctor. There are several dosing formulations for this product which are;
- Powder for suspension
Marketed By: GlaxoSmithKline
Drug Class: Amino-Penicillin
Product Form: Capsule
Pack Size: 100Capsules
What is the Price of an Amoxicillin Capsule in Pakistan?
In Pakistan, amoxicillin capsules cost between 10-20 PKR/capsule. It is available both online and at pharmacies.
What are the Uses of Amoxicillin Capsules?
The following are the uses of amoxicillin capsules;
- Treat bacterial infections
- Help to relieve chest infections like pneumonia
- Aids in the treatment of dental abscesses
- Helps in the treatment of bronchitis
- Use along with other antibiotics to treat stomach ulcers
- Treat urinary tract infections
What can be the Possible Side Effects of Amoxicillin Capsules?
Common side effects of amoxicillin capsules include:
- Abdominal or stomach cramps or tenderness
- Back, leg, or stomach pains
- Chest pain
- Fast heartbeat
- Increased thirst
- Pale skin
- Red, irritated eyes
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
Who should not use Amoxicillin Capsules?
In the following conditions, one should not use these capsules;
- Liver or kidney issues
- Recently had any vaccinations
- Ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin, amoxicillin, or any other medication
What are some other Important Details about Amoxicillin Capsules?
The following list of vital information about amoxicillin capsules includes:
The storage details for amoxicillin capsules are;
- Do not store any unnecessary medications.
- Keep them out of the reach of children.
- Ask your healthcare provider for knowing the proper way of disposing of any unwanted medication.
- The medication should be kept at room temperature in a closed container away from heat, moisture, and bright light.
- Prevent freezing these capsules however the oral liquid of these medicines can be kept in the refrigerator.
- After 14 days, throw away any unused medication.
For oral dosage forms (capsules, powder for suspension, and tablets):
For Bacterial Infections
- Adults, teenagers, and children more than 3 months of age—250 to 500 (mg)
- Children and infants older than 3 months of age —Dose must be determined by your doctor
For Treatment of Gonorrhoea
- Adults, teenagers, and children weighing 40 kg —3g taken as a single dose
- Children 2 years of age and older weighing less than 40 kg—Dose must be determined by your doctor
- Children younger than 2 years of age—Use is not recommended
For Treatment of H. Pylori Infection
- Dual therapy – 1000 mg of amoxicillin and 30 mg of lansoprazole, each given three times a day for 14 days
- Triple therapy – 1000 mg of amoxicillin, 500 mg of clarithromycin, and 30 mg of lansoprazole, all given two times a day for 14 days
- Use and dose must be discussed by your doctor
Proper Use of Amoxicillin Capsule
Follow the below-mentioned guidelines to use amoxicillin capsules properly;
- Only use this medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Never take it in larger amounts, more frequently, or for a longer period of time than recommended by your doctor.
- This medication can be used with or without food.
- Patients utilizing the oral liquid should thoroughly shake the bottle before each use.
- Use an oral syringe, medicine cup, or measuring spoon with markings to take the prescribed dose.
- The oral liquid can be combined with baby formula, milk, fruit juice, water, ginger ale, or any other cool beverage.
- Even if you feel better, continue taking this medication for the full prescribed period of time.
The precautions while taking this medicines are given below;
- You should not use birth control while taking this medication.
- Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that could be brought on by this medication. Life-threatening anaphylaxis needs prompt medical intervention. Immediately seek medical help if you like having this allergic reaction.
- After taking this medication, if you or your child develops a skin rash, itching, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, or any swelling of the hands, face, mouth, or throat, call your doctor.
- Amoxicillin may result in diarrhea, and this diarrhea may occasionally be severe. So without first seeing your doctor, never take any medication for diarrhea.
- When using this medication, tooth discoloration may happen in some young children. It could look like the teeth have brown, yellow, or grey stains. Regular tooth brushing and flossing can help to prevent this.
- Other medications should not be taken unless they have been discussed with a doctor. This includes herbal or vitamin supplements as well as prescription and nonprescription [OTC] medications.
Drug Interactions of Amoxicillin Capsule
Possible drug interactions include:
Substitutes of Amoxicillin Capsule
Here is the drug list that can be used in place of amoxicillin capsules;
Book a consultation with an infectious disease expert through Marham
If you and your family are suffering from an infectious disease then we would suggest you talk to an expert right now. Book a meeting with one of the best infectious disease doctors in Pakistan right now through Marham.
1. Is amoxicillin good for coughing?
According to a study, amoxicillin does not have any significant impact on reducing cough or the severity of symptoms of cold in people of any age group.
2. Does amoxicillin make you sleepy?
Amoxicillin cannot make you sleep but some studies have shown that it can make you feel tired and exhausted as a side effect.
3. Can you take amoxicillin on an empty stomach?
This drug can be consumed with or without meals. But if taking it without meals makes you feel sick then try to take it with food.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.