About Leflox Tablet
Leflox tablet is a quinolone antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections, pneumonia, bronchitis, meningitis, typhoid, and other microbial infectious diseases. It is a prescription medicine approved by FDA and is a prescription medicine.
Generic: Levofloxacin hemihydrate
Price: 32 PKR/ Tablet
Strength: 250mg, 500mg, 750mg
What are the Uses of the Leflox tablet?
The uses of the Leflox tablet include;
- Urinary tract infection: Levofloxacin has shown clinical advantage when used in the treatment of various UTIs caused by bacteria. It is also used for the treatment of Nongonococcal urethritis.
- Community-acquired pneumonia: Broad-spectrum antibiotic Leflox is effective in treating bacteria-caused community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). Its efficacy is well-established in pneumonia patients.
- Meningitis: Leflox has a broad antibacterial spectrum and crosses CSF. This makes it useful in meningitis caused by several bacterial species including S.pneumoniae, N. meningitidis, etc.
- Lower respiratory tract infection: Leflox is also used for the treatment of LRTIs. Its spectrum covers both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Leflox is also indicated for chronic bronchitis
- Typhoid fever: Lefloc 750mg once daily is used in the treatment of typhoid fever. It is highly effective against the bacteria Salmonella typhi which causes typhoid fever.
- Upper respiratory tract infection: Leflox is used for the treatment of pharyngitis, tonsilitis, oral cavity infections, and other upper respiratory diseases
Leflox tablet is also used for the treatment of;
- Infections of the oral cavity
- H. Pylori infection
- Skin infections
- Genital chlamydial infections
What is the Leflox Tablet Price in Pakistan?
Leflox tablet cost ranges between 30-40 PKR per tablet in Pakistan. The price of a Leflox tablet can vary depending on the manufacturer and tablet strength.
How to store Leflox Tablet?
- The product must be kept out of children’s access
- Stored at room temperature,
- Protect the tablet from sunlight
- Store Leflox in a dry place.
What are the Leflox Tablet dose and strength?
Leflox tablet is available as;
- Injection: 500 mg/20 ml and 750 mg/30 ml
- Tablet: 250 mg, 500 mg, and 750 mg
- Oral solution: 25 mg/ml 250 mg/50 ml
Leflox dosage for adults ranges from 250 mg to 750 mg, depending on the infection’s severity. Leflox should be taken once daily at a dose of 500mg for prostatitis and throat infections, respectively.
How to take Leflox?
- Leflox may be taken either with or without food.
- If you must take it orally, attempt to do so with meals as taking it on an empty stomach could upset your stomach or result in gastric ulcers.
- If you have nausea or stomach pain, let your doctor know as this could be an indication of gastritis.
- Do not chew or crush the tablet or capsule.
- Leflox tablets should be taken with a glass of water.
- Completely inhale it. Observe the doctor’s recommendations about dose and frequency.
- You must speak with a healthcare professional before discontinuing its use.
- Avoid taking antibiotics without a prescription as it may cause antibiotic resistance.
What are the Side Effects of Leflox?
Leflox tablet side effects are given as
- Black stools
- Acid reflux
- Elevation of liver enzymes
- Serum sickness
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in stool
What are the Risks and Warnings for Leflox?
Following are the risks and warnings of Leflox tablets:
1. Allergic to Leflox: Leflox or any other medication with the same generic name should not be taken if you are allergic to levofloxacin because doing so can cause a potentially fatal condition called anaphylactic shock.
2. Peripheral neuropathy: Peripheral neuropathy can be brought on by Leflox. So, if you already have the same condition, don’t use it. You must inform your healthcare practitioner if you experience the same complaint.
3.. Seizures: Leflox should not be used if you have a history of seizures or renal impairment because it can cause seizures. Leflox must be taken cautiously.
4.. Kidney failure: The medical professional may reduce the drug’s dose if your kidneys are not functioning properly. Your kidneys are designed to remove waste and toxins, which is why it occurs.
5. Gastric ulcers: Leflox affects your gastrointestinal tract, thus people with gastric ulcers and acidity should use it with extreme caution.
Can you take Leflox during Pregnancy?
Leflox should not be taken when pregnant unless a doctor has prescribed it. They are often avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding due to their harmful effects on the developing fetus.
The health of your child may be impacted. Mothers who are nursing should also speak with a doctor before taking it.
Does Leflox Tablet cause drug interactions?
Inform your doctor about all the drugs you are taking as Levofloxacin can interact with a number of drugs including;
- Oral contraceptives that contain estrogen and progesterone
- Blood thinners like warfarin
- Other antibiotics such chloramphenicol, tetracyclines, sulfonamides, and macrolide
- Drugs that alter the cardiac rhythm, such as procainamide, amiodarone, quinidine, sotalol, and dofetilide.