Alp Tablet contains the active ingredient Alprazolam, which is a type of benzodiazepine. Alprazolam is primarily used for the short-term management of anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety associated with depression.
Marketed By: Hilton Pharma (Pvt) Ltd.
Drug Class: Benzodiazepine
Product Form: Tablet
Mechanism of Action
Alp Tablet works by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a naturally occurring chemical in the brain that helps to calm down nerve activity. Alprazolam binds to specific sites on the GABA-A receptor, which increases the activity of GABA in the brain. This results in a decrease in excessive activity in the brain, which can reduce symptoms of anxiety, panic, and other related conditions.
Alp Tablet 0.25 mg
Alp Tablet 0.5 mg
Alp Tablet 1 mg
Alp Tablet 2 mg
What is Alp tablet Price in Pakistan?
Alp 0.5 mg tablet price in Pakistan ranges between 6-8 PKR per tablet. The Alp tablet price varies depending on the strength and manufacturer.
What is the Alp tablet Used for?
The Alp tablet uses include;
- Anxiety disorders: It can help reduce symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), and other anxiety-related conditions.
- Panic disorder: It can be used to treat panic attacks, which are sudden episodes of intense fear or discomfort that may include physical symptoms such as sweating, racing heart, or shaking.
- Insomnia: Alp tablet may be prescribed for short-term treatment of insomnia, which is difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Muscle spasms: It may be used to treat muscle spasms and tremors caused by conditions such as multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injury.
Read more: How To Deal With Anxiety? 8 Important Tips!
How to take an Alp tablet?
Follow these general instructions for taking an Alp tablet;
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water.
- Do not crush, break, or chew the tablet.
- It may be taken with or without food, but it is essential to follow the guidelines provided by the doctor.
- Never take more than the prescribed dose or take the tablet more frequently than prescribed, as this can increase the risk of side effects or dependence.
What is the Alp tablet dosage?
The usual starting dose for adults with anxiety is 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg taken three times per day. The maximum daily dose is usually around 4 mg.
Consult a psychiatrist to find the right dosage of Alp tablet.
What are Alp tablet side effects?
Some of the common side effects reported with the use of Alp tablet include;
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
- Muscle weakness
- Slurred speech
- Impaired coordination
- Difficulty sleeping
More serious side effects include;
- Allergic reactions, such as hives, rash, or swelling of the face
- Severe drowsiness or confusion
- Depression or suicidal thoughts
- Unusual changes in mood or behavior
- Hallucinations or delusions
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
What are the warnings associated with Alp Tablet?
The precautions and warnings associated with Alp tablet use include;
- Patients who have a history of drug abuse or addiction should be closely monitored when taking the Alp tablet.
- It can cause respiratory depression, especially when combined with other medicines that depress the respiratory system, such as opioids.
- Patients should avoid driving or operating machinery until they know how the medicine affects them.
- Grapefruit juice can increase the levels of alprazolam in the bloodstream, which can increase the risk of side effects. Patients should avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking alprazolam.
Also, read about the 5 Most Common Mental Health Disorders In Pakistan
Does Alp Tablet react with medicines?
Some of the medicines that can interact with Alp Tablet include:
- Antidepressants such as fluoxetine and paroxetine
Consult a psychiatrist about all medicines you are taking before starting Alp Tablet.
Is Alp Tablet Safe during Pregnancy?
Alp Tablet 0.5mg should be used with caution during pregnancy as it belongs to a class of benzodiazepines, which can cross the placenta and potentially harm the developing fetus.
Studies have suggested that benzodiazepines may increase the risk of congenital malformations and developmental delays in the newborn, as well as cause withdrawal symptoms in the baby after birth.
Long-term use of benzodiazepines during pregnancy may increase the risk of low birth weight, premature birth, and respiratory problems in the newborn.
If you are already taking Alp Tablet and become pregnant, do not stop taking the tablet without first consulting your gynecologist.
What are the alternatives to Alp Tablet?
Some of the most common alternatives to Alp Tablet include:
What happens with an Alp Tablet Overdose?
An overdose of Alp Tablet 0.5mg can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Taking more than the prescribed dose of Alp Tablet 0.5mg can lead to excessive sedation, confusion, impaired coordination, respiratory depression, and coma.
What happens if you miss the Alp Tablet dose?
It is recommended that you take an Alp tablet according to the recommended schedule. Take Alp Tablet 0.5mg as soon as you remember if you miss a dose. To continue with your regular dosing plan, skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses to make up for the one you missed.
How to store Alp Tablet?
Follow these guidelines to store Alp tablet;
- Maintain the tablet below 30°C.
- Keep the tablet in a dry environment.
- Keep it out of the sun’s direct rays.
- Do not refrigerate.
For Alp Tablet prescription use, consult a mental health specialist.
1. Is the Alp tablet good for sleep?
Alp Tablet can be effective for promoting sleep, it should only be used under the guidance of a doctor and for short-term treatment of insomnia.
2. Do you need a prescription to buy Alp Tablet 0.5mg?
You require a prescription from your psychiatrist in order to get Alp Tablet 0.5mg.
3. Does alp tablet 0.5 mg lower blood pressure?
Alp Tablet 0.5mg is not typically prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure. However, some studies suggest that benzodiazepines like Alp Tablet 0.5mg may have a mild blood pressure-lowering effect, especially in individuals with high blood pressure.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.