Hickeys result from intense suction that breaks small blood vessels in the area resulting in blue or purple spots. Hickeys usually fade in about 2 weeks but a few treatments might work to get rid of hickeys overnight.
- Hickeys rupture tiny blood vessels resulting in bruises that fade in about 2 weeks.
- A few vitamin-containing creams can help get rid of hickeys overnight.
- A warm compress, bandage, or makeup are some of the ways to get rid of hickeys fast.
What are Hickeys?
A hickey results due to intense suction or biting on any part of your skin. Tiny blood vessels are ruptured and blood leaks. The internal blood has no place to leak so it is trapped under your skin resulting in purple or dark blue marks.
Hickeys are common on the neck but can occur in any other place. They can be of different sizes and colors depending on how long and how hard the skin is sucked.
A cluster of ruptured blood spots generates a bigger black area, similar to a bruise. The bruise’s color may gradually show a transition from red or dark purple to yellow.
You can talk to a doctor online if hickeys cause intense pain or inflammation.
Can a hickey harm you?
Hickeys can be unpleasant to some people but they are not really dangerous. According to Planned Parenthood, hickeys are not dangerous and they do not cause cancer. They can cause complications if the bruise is sore or results in severe inflammation.
However, some people might find them painful, especially those who have sensitive skin. So, it is always better to communicate with your partner to avoid blood clotting and other complications.
How to Get Rid of Hickeys Overnight?
While there is very little scientific evidence present that you can get rid of a hickey overnight, a few ways to remove a hickey include;
1. Vitamin K Cream
Research suggests that vitamin K creams can speed up the healing of bruises on the body.
- Vitamin K has an important role in the process of blood clotting hence it is applied in hickeys to heal them instantly.
- Vitamin K creams work best when combined with Arnica creams to reduce inflammation and pain on the hickey.
- Vitamin K can be used on every skin type and does not show any sensitivity.
- This vitamin helps heal the blood vessels quickly.
How to use
- Clean the bruised area to prevent the spread of any infection
- Take vitamin K cream and apply it to the hickey directly
- Leave it overnight on the affected area.
- Repeat the process until the mark fades away completely
- For best results, combine vitamin K cream with Arnica cream. This helps you get rid of hickeys overnight.
2. Warm Compress for Hickeys
According to the Cleveland Clinic, warm compresses can help in opening your blood vessels and breaking down the hickeys.
- It can remove the red blood cells that have poured out of your blood vessels and onto your skin.
- A warm compress opens up the blood vessels.
- The heat helps reduce the stain and reduce swelling at the site.
- Warm compression soothes the skin and increases blood circulation in the area.
How to use
- Heat a wet cloth in the microwave
- Apply it to the hickey and press it gently on the area for at least 10 minutes. Reheat the compress if it gets cold.
- Repeat the process at least three to four times a day until the bruise heals completely.
- You can also take a warm compress and apply it directly to the area.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil contains methanol, which can increase blood flow according to studies. By speeding up the blood flow to the hickey it may help it to heal faster.
- Peppermint also helps to reduce the size and severity of hickeys to help you get rid of hickeys overnight.
- Peppermint also reduces tingling and the healing process.
- Peppermint oil massage reduces the incidence of bacterial infections at the bruised site.
How to use
- Take 3-4 drops of peppermint oil
- Massage it gently on the hickey for some time
- Leave it overnight
- If peppermint oil irritates the skin, discontinue its use.
4. Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C has been proven to heal bruises faster.
- Vitamin C works by strengthening the tissues around the ruptured blood vessels.
- It can also play an important part in the creation of collagen, a protein that keeps skin firm and supple.
- Applying a vitamin C lotion serum to the hickey may help hasten skin healing and result in the removal of the bruise.
How to use
- Clean the bruised area properly.
- Take vitamin C-based serum and massage it on the hickey.
- Leave it on the bruise overnight.
- Repeat the process once or twice regularly until you get rid of hickey.
5. Arnica Cream
Arnica is a common homeopathic ointment to treat various skin conditions.
- Arnica is composed of substances that reduce inflammation and decrease swelling and pain.
- It acts as an antibiotic to help you get rid of hickeys fast.
- Arnica cream for hickeys also speeds up the healing process of repairing the blood vessels.
How to use:
- Clean the bruise properly using a wet wipe or cloth
- Take a small amount of Arnica cream and apply it on the bruise gently
- Apply Arnica cream once or twice on the hickeys and repeat the process for several days until the mark fades away.
Also, see How to Get Rid of Sunburn Redness
How to hide Hickey naturally?
In case you do not have enough time or any of the methods given above don’t work, you can do the following:
- Wear a Turtleneck or high neck
- Wear a Scarf or a shirt with a collar
- Use Makeup for concealing and contouring the skin
- Apply a Bandage on the bruise
The Bottom Line
Hickeys are always hard to cover and take more than a week to recover. The use of serums rich in anti-inflammatory vitamins and cold or warm compress can help get rid of hickeys instantly.
If nothing works and you have a severe bruise or bite, it is always recommended to consult a skin specialist for treatment.
1. How do you get rid of a hickey in 5 minutes?
While it is not possible to get rid of a hickey in five minutes can you try home remedies that can fasten the healing process. You may use a warm compress, a cold spoon, peppermint oil, or Vitamin C serum for this purpose.
2. Does toothpaste get rid of hickeys?
No, toothpaste is not an effective way to get rid of hickeys. It can even cause irritation and make the hickeys worse because of its ingredients. So, do not use it on your skin.
3. Is there a fast way to get rid of hickeys?
Some fast methods that can help you remove hickeys include using Arnica cream, Vitamin K cream, Vitamin C serums, peppermint oil, a warm compress, or a cold compress.