Neomycin cream is a topical medication that contains the antibiotic neomycin. It is used to treat or prevent skin infections caused by bacteria. Neomycin has a bactericidal effect on bacteria in the skin, which helps to reduce inflammation and other symptoms associated with skin infections.
Manufactured by: Amros Pharmaceuticals
Drug Class: Aminoglycoside antibiotics
Product form: Cream
Mechanism of Action
Neomycin works by binding to bacterial ribosomes, which inhibits the synthesis of bacterial proteins necessary for the growth and reproduction of the bacteria. This ultimately leads to the death of the bacteria and helps to treat or prevent skin infections caused by susceptible bacteria.
- 0.5% Neomycin Cream
- 1% Neomycin Cream
What is Neomycin Cream Price in Pakistan?
Neomycin cream 15 gm price in Pakistan ranges between 70-80 PKR. The cream price varies depending on the strength and manufacturer.
What are Neomycin Cream uses?
The Neomycin cream uses are given below;
- Bacterial skin infections: Neomycin cream can be used to treat a variety of bacterial skin infections, including impetigo, folliculitis, and infected wounds.
- Burns: This cream can also be used to help prevent or treat infections in minor burns.
- Eczema: In some cases, neomycin cream may be prescribed to help relieve the symptoms of eczema, a chronic skin condition characterized by dry, itchy, and inflamed skin.
- Insect bites and stings: This cream may be used to help prevent or treat infections that can occur as a result of insect bites or stings.
Have a look at Tretinoin Cream Uses, Side Effects, and Price in Pakistan
How to apply the Neomycin Cream?
Here are some general instructions on how to apply Neomycin cream:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before applying the cream.
- Clean the affected area of the skin and pat it dry.
- Apply a thin layer of neomycin cream to the affected area, covering the entire area of the skin that is affected by the infection.
- Gently rub the cream into the skin until it is completely absorbed.
- Wash your hands again after applying the cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Use neomycin cream as directed by your healthcare professional.
What is Neomycin Cream dosage?
The dosage of Neomycin cream may vary depending on the individual patient’s needs and medical condition. Here are some general guidelines for neomycin cream dosage:
- Apply a small amount of Neomycin cream to the affected area of the skin 2-4 times per day, or as directed by your healthcare professional.
- The amount of cream to be applied will depend on the size of the affected area. Apply enough cream to cover the entire area of skin that is affected by the infection.
- Do not use more neomycin cream than recommended by your healthcare professional, as this can increase the risk of side effects.
What are Neomycin Cream’s side effects?
Here are some potential side effects of Neomycin cream:
- Skin irritation
- Allergic reactions
- Hearing loss
In the event that any of these adverse effects linger or get worse, or if you encounter any other strange symptoms or responses, you should contact a dermatologist right away.
What are the warnings associated with the Neomycin Cream?
Here are some warnings associated with the use of Neomycin cream:
- Individuals who are allergic to neomycin or other aminoglycoside antibiotics should not use neomycin cream.
- Overuse of neomycin cream can lead to the development of resistant bacteria or fungal infections.
- Neomycin cream should not come into contact with the eyes, mouth, or other mucous membranes, as this can cause irritation or damage.
You may also read – Tea Tree Oil Uses – Is Tea Tree Oil Good For Skin?
Does Neomycin Cream react with medicines?
Here are some medications that may interact with Neomycin cream:
- Systemic aminoglycosides
- Loop diuretics
Is using Neomycin Cream Safe during Pregnancy?
Neomycin cream is classified as a Pregnancy Category D drug by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that it may cause harm to the fetus if used during pregnancy. However, the potential benefits of the medication may outweigh the potential risks in certain situations.
It’s important to discuss the use of neomycin cream during pregnancy with the gynecologist, who can evaluate the potential risks and benefits and recommend the best course of treatment for your specific medical condition.
You may see – The Healthiest Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy
What are the alternatives to the Neomycin Cream?
Neomycin cream has a number of alternatives that are sold in the market. Among the often-used alternatives are:
- Polymyxin B sulfate cream
- Bacitracin ointment
- Mupirocin ointment
- Clindamycin cream or gel
Once more, before changing the medication being used to treat a condition, it is essential to check with the top dermatologists.
What happens with a Neomycin Cream Overdose?
An overdose of neomycin cream is unlikely to occur. However, if too much neomycin cream is applied or accidentally ingested, it may cause skin irritation or other adverse effects.
What happens if you miss the Neomycin Cream dose?
If you miss a dose of neomycin cream, apply it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
How to store Neomycin Cream?
Here are some tips on how to store Neomycin cream:
- Store neomycin cream at room temperature, between 20°C and 25°C.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not freeze neomycin cream.
- Protect the medication from light and moisture.
- Do not use neomycin cream past the expiration date printed on the packaging.
- Discard any unused neomycin cream properly, in accordance with local regulations.
Always get professional advice before taking any form of medication. Therefore, see a dermatologist before using this cream.
1. Can neomycin be used on open wounds?
Neomycin cream is not typically recommended for use on open wounds, as it may impair wound healing and increase the risk of systemic absorption and adverse effects. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for guidance on appropriate treatment for open wounds.
2. Is neomycin toxic to kidneys?
Neomycin can become toxic for your kidneys as it may cause an unsuspected kind of renal failure when its dosage is not taken according to the prescription given by the doctor.
Disclaimer: The content was published on Marham. pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.