Childhood is a tricky age to predict any irregular responses. Parents, specially the new ones, are inexperienced in raising a child and understanding their needs. They always confuse the unpredictable reactions of their kid with a phase in their childhood. It is necessary to enlighten everyone about the mental disorders that a child experiences.
Further, we have discussed the 7 most common mental disorders in a child;
1. ADHD (Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
It is a common disorder in children, the child has trouble in paying attention and is unable to concentrate on work assigned. In ADHD, the child displays immediate responses and acts before thinking things through. The child is unable to sit still for a constant interval of time. He/She keep on moving and show a hyperactive attitude which might be abnormal.
ADHD is hard to diagnose because the parents think that their child is going through a phase. But, if he/she experience something different in the behavior of the child then do not hesitate to visit a psychologist for proper diagnosis.
2. Eating Disorders
In Pakistan, parents express their love by feeding their children until their belly pops. At some point, the child avoids eating. But, for a kid to have an unstoppable appetite is a serious concern. There are 3 types of eating disorders;
- Bulimia: In this, the child takes in a large amount of food and then try to extract it through induced vomiting or to take other measures like laxatives.
- Anorexia: In this, the child gets afraid of being overweight. However, if they are skinny, they feel fat. For staying slim, they go through extreme dieting and exercising. It is a concerning matter because it has an adverse effect on children’s health.
- Binge Eating: In this, the child eats a large amount of food. They eat to the point of discomfort, but they are unable to stop. Due to this, they become obese. Moreover, obesity is a huge concern because it leads to many other illnesses.
3. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Autism Spectrum disorder is a behavioral disorder in children, in which the child is unable to interact socially with anyone. The symptoms of ASD can be detected before 3 years of age. The intensity of the disease can vary from low, mild and severe. in this disorder, it is hard for a child to communicate and respond in a normal way. The child shows repeated behavior which is considered as an irregular behavior.
Dyslexia is a common disorder in children, in which the child has trouble in reading, writing, and spelling. The affected child feels like the words are jumping in front of him. Such children are usually misunderstood by the teachers and parents, and due to this, the children suffer depression.
5. Tourette’s Syndrome
Tourette’s Syndrome is a disorder in children, in which the child experiences involuntary muscle movements and noises. These actions are uncontrollable for the child. Many parents are concerned about these reactions. Tourette’s appear from 5-9 years of age, which can decrease or end till adulthood. But, until that time the parents need to be supportive of the child. Sometimes these unusual reactions of a child are mistaken as a wrong doing of the child. Blaming a child for something that he/she cannot control can damage their personality and can cause depression.
Schizophrenia is a disorder that influences behavioral, emotional and visual responses. The child claims to see things which do not exist in real form. These visions are due to hallucinations, the problem in speech and delusions. Schizophrenia is misdiagnosed most of the time. Hence, consulting the right psychologist is critical. A child experiencing schizophrenia below the age of 13 is rare. So, mostly it is diagnosed after the age of 13.
7. Anxiety Disorder
Anxiety disorder is the most common disorder in children. Sometimes, anxiety is considered as a phase in a child’s life. But, a disorder is something serious than common anxiety. In this, the child feels fear, becomes reserved, repressed and tensed. He/She start avoiding places or participating in normal activities and they will bottle up and become depressed. Hence, it is a serious matter to differentiate between a phase and a disorder.
- 5 Best Urologists in Lahore
- 5 Best Gynecologists in Lahore
- 9 Signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- 7 Side Effects of Using Supplements
- Here are the 10 Symptoms of Dengue
Latest posts by Asjl Khan (see all)
- 5 Homemade Cleansers Will Make Your Skin Shine! - April 9, 2021
- 3 Rules of Losing Weight with Intermittent Fasting - March 31, 2021
- 7 Causes Of Bad Breath No One Told You About! - March 30, 2021