Coughing is the body’s reaction to irritants entering your airways or throat. A cough can be dry or productive. The pharmacological treatment for cough includes several best cough syrups, which are available both OTC and on prescription in Pakistan. These dry cough syrups significantly suppress coughing and decrease mucus production.
- Cough occurs as a reflex action in response to inflammation or the presence of an irritant in the throat and airways.
- Some of the best cough syrups available in Pakistan are Acefyl cough syrup, Hyrdryllin, Arinac Corex-D, and Pulmonol.
- These dry cough syrups help provide fast relief against cough and other associated symptoms.
5 Best Cough Syrups in Pakistan:
Here is a list of dry cough syrups that can help you choose the best cough syrup in Pakistan for adults:
1. Acefyl Cough Syrup
Acefyl syrup comprises acefylline and diphenhydramine, both bronchodilators and antiallergic medications.
Acefyl Syrup Uses:
- Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to treat sneezing, allergies, hay fever, and sleeplessness.
- The Acefyl cough syrup also acts as a bronchodilator, relaxing and dilating the lung muscles.
- It creates ease in taking breaths and reduces coughing.
- Asthmatic patients undergo muscular spasms, disrupting gas exchange and making breathing difficult.
Side effects: Acefyl is a sedative, which means it makes you sleepy. So, it is better to use it at night before sleeping or as recommended by your doctor.
2. Hydryllin Syrup
Hydryllin syrup is another cough suppressant and is one of the best cough syrups in Pakistan. It is also used to treat nausea, vomiting, motion sickness, insect stings, and allergic responses. It contains 30mg of ammonium chloride, 8mg of diphenhydramine, 32mg of aminophylline, and 0.98mg of menthol in 5 ml of syrup.
Hydryllin Syrup Uses:
- Hydryllin is primarily used to prevent and treat asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and other lung illnesses.
- It also causes wheezing, shortness of breath, and trouble breathing.
Side effects: It is possible to have nausea or vomiting. Inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately if one of these problems persists or worsens.
3. Arinac Cough Syrup
Arinac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory and decongestant syrup.
Arinac Syrup Uses:
- It relieves stuffy noses, coughs, and sinus congestion caused by the common cold.
- This syrup is also used to alleviate pain and fever.
- This cough syrup works by inhibiting the production of natural chemicals in the body that cause inflammation. This impact aids in the reduction of discomfort, heat, and edema.
Arinac 120ml contains the active components ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine HCl. Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAID). While Pseudoephedrine HCl is a decongestant for the nose.
Side effects: Weakness, restlessness, nausea, vomiting, headache, upset stomach, diarrhea, sleepiness, dizziness, constipation, gas, anxiety, and bloating are the most typical adverse effects of this syrup.
4. Corex-D Cough Syrup
The Corex-D cough syrup is one of the best cough syrups for adults in Pakistan for cough. The active ingredients of this cough syrup are Dextromethorphan, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Ephedrine Hcl, and Sodium Citrate.
Corex-D Syrup Uses:
- It is used to treat dry, irritating, and bothersome coughs caused by allergies or infectious disorders of the respiratory tract.
- Corex treated conditions such as sinusitis, hay fever, pharyngitis, acute bronchitis, TB, and tropical eosinophilia.
Side effects: Drowsiness, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Tiredness, Upset stomach, Headache, Nausea, and Vomiting are frequent Corex-D cough syrup side effects.
5. Pulmonol Syrup
Pulmonol syrup is used as a cough suppressant and is a safe syrup for use in different populations;
Pulmonol Syrup Uses:
- Treatment of coughs caused by the common cold
- Bronchitis, and
- Respiratory disorders.
Side effects: This medication’s adverse effects include sleepiness (tiredness), tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), sedation, and stomach discomfort.
It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history, especially if you have breathing issues, cough with blood, a lot of mucus, or liver problems.
Common Causes of Cough:
The worldwide prevalence of chronic cough was estimated at 9.6%. Coughing aids in removing foreign material from the lungs and airways, or it is a response to an irritated airway that aids in expulsing the irritant.
Some of the causes of symptoms of cough, according to the Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH) include:
- A bacterial infection of the lungs that can cause bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, whooping cough, laryngitis, or TB
- Chronic lung disease
- A virus infection, such as a common cold or bronchiolitis
- Postnasal drip, a condition in which nasal fluid drains down the throat, necessitates the sufferer to regularly clean their throats
- Allergies, such as allergic rhinitis, can also cause coughing
- Acid reflux into the esophagus
While you can find many options for dry cough syrups in Pakistan online, they might not be the most suitable for you. Therefore, it is highly recommended to consult a doctor first. A medical specialist can identify the cause behind your cough and advise effective treatment that will lead to a faster recovery.
1. Which is the best treatment for dry cough?
You can manage dry cough at home with over-the-counter drugs such as cough suppressants and throat lozenges. Also, you can try using a humidifier to increase moisture in the air, gargling with salt water, and drinking plenty of fluids.
2. What is the fastest way to cure a cough?
Some of the fastest ways to cure a cough include taking a cough suppressant, sipping a warm drink, increasing fluid intake, sucking on some hard candy, or taking an NSAID.
3. How can you stop coughing at night?
If your cough worsens at night, consider propping up your head and neck. Make yourself comfortable by using a wedge cushion or many bed pillows while lying in a posture that elevates your head above the rest of your body.
Disclaimer: The content published on Marham.pk is for informational or educational purposes only, produced from FDA-approved literature, and does not substitute professional medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider before using a prescription or over-the-counter drug, or any other treatment option.