Table of Content
The question is Eastern vs Western: Which Parenting Style is Better? Best parenting style refers to the way you raise your child. Everything that you decide for your child, from their clothing to which school they join, comes under the umbrella of parenting. Parenting is no easy task because it affects every aspect of your child’s personality, including beliefs, thought processes, strengths and weaknesses, and self-confidence.
Parenting styles differ according to your geographical location because every country has different religious and cultural norms. We can classify parenting techniques into two main categories according to regions as Eastern and Western. Let’s discuss the various strategies of both parenting styles and their disadvantages and decide which one is more effective.
Western Parenting Style
Western parenting is generally considered a more lenient approach to raising a child. It focuses on letting the child express their feelings and opinions openly with others. Parents do not force decisions on the children and teach them to be independent very early age. Some of the standard techniques used by parents in the west include:
- Children sleep in a separate room: Western people put their children to sleep in a different room from when they were born. They believe it helps them in being independent of the start.
- Do not force their children: Even the most minor decisions are made by the children themselves to promote decision making.
- No spoon-feeding: After the bottle feeding ends, children are encouraged to sit in a baby chair where they are presented with their plate and spoons. Mealtime is about letting the child explore the various food items themselves.
- No pressure: This no-pressure policy is used by many western parents, especially in academics and selecting a career. Parents do not have high academic expectations and ask children to follow their passions and interests.
- Moving out after 18: The concept of joint family is non-existent in western culture. Children usually leave their parent’s homes when they leave for college or after turning 18.
These are some of the reasons why western parenting style is better.
Disadvantages of Western Parenting
Children whose parents do not push are more likely to underachieve. They usually lag and do poorly in exams. Because western children are accustomed to making their own decisions, they frequently do not listen to their parents. Moreover, parents are sometimes too gentle with their children, which causes them to become sluggish or overly self-centered. If parents adopt an extremely liberal parenting style, children can get into bad habits due to their freedom. In such cases, children mostly confuse freedom with liberty.
Eastern Parenting Style
Through affection and warmth, eastern parenting is more protective and forms strong emotional bonds with children.
Eastern parents instill morality, cultural values, and, most importantly, emotional support in their children at various stages of life. Standard practices of the eastern households include:
- Protective nature: Eastern parents shield their children from problems and difficult situations and strive to provide them with an ideal environment.
- Authoritative: Eastern parents make most decisions for their children and choose what is best for them.
- High Academic Expectations: They are willing to invest more time and money in their children’s education and pay for extra tuition classes to tutor their children. They are eager to make any sacrifice to send their kid to a good college and achieve good grades. And, in most cases, children do well in school.
- Joint family system: Children in Eastern parenting styles are given everything they need and are expected to repay by caring for them in old age. Children usually live with their parents after graduation and even after marriage in Pakistan and India.
Parenting in Pakistan mostly consists of the techniques given above. Most parents in Pakistan value their traditions, culture, and religion greatly and want to raise their children according to these values.
Disadvantages of Eastern Parenting
Due to an overprotective environment, children do not gain the necessary experiences to overcome more significant challenges in life. This means overprotected children are unable to deal with the challenges of life in the real world. According to psychological research, many children develop psychological problems like depression or anxiety because of their parents’ unbearable pressure. These children also experience low self-esteem and might rebel against strict rules in some cases. Eastern parents usually strive to make their children exact replicas of themselves. As a result, the child is unable to think independently when making important decisions.
Why are Parenting Skills Important?
Patience, focus, and positive involvement in your child’s life can make sure that they grow up to be good and successful human beings. The most critical factor in a child’s upbringing is good parenting skills. A child is often similar to a clay pot in their early years, meaning you can mold or shape them however you like. It all begins when your child comes into this world. Most parents would agree that raising children requires a great deal of patience, trustworthiness, nurturing, humor, and direction.
Many kinds of research have shown that parents who communicate with their children more have a better emotional bonding and tend to have fewer problems in their relationship. However, skills like effective communication are difficult, and most parents learn how and when to apply these through practice.
So Eastern vs Western: Which Parenting Style is Better?
Both parenting styles have their advantages and disadvantages. So, if you are preparing to be a dad or a mom, you should practice what suits your child best because no one is the same. Finding the right balance between the two is the best way to use the benefits of both while avoiding the cons of either.
Therefore, being liberal in some cases so that the child learns from their mistakes and strict in others is beneficial because parents can teach their children that choosing the right path is not an option but the default. According to Psychology Today, consulting a psychologist is extremely useful if you want advice on how to improve your parenting skills or are going to become a parent soon.
1. How to prepare for fatherhood?
If you will become a father soon, it is best to discuss your feelings and concerns with your partner. You can prepare yourself by researching effective parenting techniques or can ask other fathers for advice. Going to a psychologist can also help because getting ready for fatherhood is tough especially after 40.
2. How can I know my child better?
You can start by spending more time with them, discovering their interests and passions, doing fun activities together, and asking them about their day.
3. How can I lecture my children with love?
Ending the lecture on a note that you love your children and the lecture is just for their betterment can be helpful. Never end the conversation with anger or frustration.
Book an appointment now to answer all your queries. You can book an appointment with top psychologists in Pakistan through Marham by calling Marham helpline: 0311-1222398 or an online appointment booking facility through the website or Marham mobile app.
Can’t Find The App?
Drop a review for us at Playstore if you’ve had a good experience!
Stay Home. Stay Safe!