Dry mouth is also called ‘Xerostomia’ that is due to a commensurate flow of saliva. It is not a disease, but a manifestation of a medical disorder, aging issues or it can also exhibit the side effect of certain medications, such as decongestants, antihistamines, pain killers or sometimes as a result of radiation therapy for cancer.
Dry Mouth can make it difficult to speak, eat, and digest food and can lead to malnutrition & starvation. Extreme dry mouth and salivary gland dysfunction can generate noteworthy anxiety, permanent throat and mouth disease, and can impair a person’s quality of life.
Must Read: 8 Best Dentists In Lahore
Saliva aid prevents tooth decay by counterbalance acids produced by bacteria, that limits bacterial growth and disband food particles. Saliva also enhances your ability to taste and makes it effortless to chew and swallow. In addition, enzymes in saliva help in digestion.
Abated dry mouth and saliva can range from being slightly an exasperate to something that has a major impact on your overall health and your oral health that includes teeth & gums, as well as your appetite and enjoyment of food!
Signs & Symptoms
- A sticky/dry feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or speaking
- A burning feeling in the mouth
- Halitosis (Bad Breath)
- Dry/grooved tongue
- Cracked lips
- An infection in the mouth
- Frequent occurrences of tooth decay/dental caries
If you have tooth decay, dental caries, tooth plaque or you are suffering from Xerostomia/Dry Mouth, see for above-mentioned indications & drop your queries on our web page or simply Book An Online Appointment With The Best Dentist in Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore & other main cities of Pakistan.
- Nerve damage due to aging
- Other health conditions like HIV Infections, cancer, etc.
- Tobacco and Alcohol Use
- Medications like Anti-epileptics, diuretics, Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs.
Treatment is designated according to the cause. Various treatment methods are:
Also Read: How to get flawless pink lips
- Change in the medications that lead to dry mouth.
- Drinking water more frequently throughout the day, especially while eating.
- Prescribe medication that spurs saliva production.
- Medications that help increase salivary flow such as Salagen and Evoxac.
- Chew sugar-free gums.
- Breathe through your nose, not via your mouth.
- Use Alcohol-free products. Alcohol can lead to further mouth dryness.