Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Orthopedic Surgeon on Osteoporosis/ Osteopenia

person-avatar

Asking for Sister, Female, 35 years old, Islamabad

Kindly help and guide treatment for Osteopenia in spine, hip and forearm. Age 35 years, female. Thanks much.

Orthopedic Surgeon in Rawalpindi - Dr. Sajid Aslam Khawaja

Dr. Sajid Aslam Khawaja - Orthopedic Surgeon

MBBS, MRCS (Ireland), Fellow of European Board of Orthopedic & Traumatology (EBOT), Diplomat in Navigated knee replacement (CAOS) UK, MSc Orthopedic (UK), Fellowship in Hip and Knee replacement (Glasgow, UK), Key skills course provider by Royal College of surgeons in Edinburgh | Rawalpindi

review-stars

296 Positive Reviews

Hi, she needs to get sun exposure 30 min every day atleast and start Vit D and Ca supliments. However if you need to consult me (orthopaedic surgeon) you are welcome. Thanks

Post Owner

Thank you, Dr. what is your opinion about using bisphophonates for treatment at age 35.

4 years ago

Orthopedic Surgeon in Rawalpindi - Dr. Muhammad Mobushir

Dr. Muhammad Mobushir - Orthopedic Surgeon

MBBS, FCPS (Orthopedic Surgery), MRCPS (Glasgow) | Rawalpindi

review-stars

104 Positive Reviews

Get your vitamin D levels and xrays done.she probably needs some supplements and sub exposure..After investigations you can see me at my clinic...thanx

Post Owner

She has undergone during May, Active Vit. D3 (1,25OH) test, result was 128.0 pg/mL.

X-ray was done 2 years ago in 2016. Comments on X-ray report showed: No fracture, Straightening and minimal scoliosis of lumbar spine, most likely secondary to muscular spasm.
Vit D level at that time was 18.
At that time (November, 2016) Orthopedic doctor suggested her Strontium renelate for 3 months + Vit D and Calcium supplements + hormonal pills+exercise and walk. He said we will not consider it osteoporosis rather as osteopenia. He also suggested that there is no need of bisphophonates at this age.

DEXA scan 2 years ago showed osteoporosis in spine and osteopenia in forearm while hip normal. Now DEXA scan this year showed osteopenia in spine, hip and forearm.

Kindly guide.
Thanks

4 years ago

Post Owner

sorry, i think there is problem in mentioning the year 2 0 1 6. the website is showing some number.

4 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

I would suggest lifestyle and diet changes to bring about a positive change. Physical treatment may be commenced in order to align the musculoskeletal system.

Post Owner

Thanks doctor for your reply.
She visited endocrinologist and she recommended her Bisphosphonates. She is very much confused either to start this treatment or not? at this age (35 years). Kindly suggest that should she start this treatment or not???
She has osteoporosis/ osteopenia problem due to primary amenorrhea. Currently she is taking Calcium and vitamin D supplements and hormone pills.

Dr. pl guide what kind of physical treatment she should follow?

Kindly guide and help.
Thanks

4 years ago

Member of Marham-Forum

I would recommend natural solutions to the fix the problem. As stated earlier, the diet needs to include Salmon, whole milk, Shiitake mushrooms for example. Natural sunlight at the brightest hours will help boost the Vit D levels. Detox the system, get the body aligned for strengthening the ligaments, tendons and joints. Vitamin K2 supplement will also help.

Post Owner

Thank you Dr.
Kindly guide, if she takes egg shells in ground powder form, would this benefit her? Are egg shells cause any kidney stones or not? Pl help

4 years ago

Excessive egg shells definitely may cause health issues. First, the source need to be free of any contamination, and secondly the amount consumed needs to be moderate, 2.5 gms a reasonable amount, though better consult a nutritionist.

4 years ago

Post Owner

Thanks much

4 years ago

Orthopedic Surgeon in Rawalpindi - Dr. Hamza Fareed

Dr. Hamza Fareed - Orthopedic Surgeon

MBBS, FCPS (Trauma and Orthopedics), MRCPS (Glasgow), MRCS (Edinburgh), GMC Registered (UK) | Rawalpindi

review-stars

23 Positive Reviews

it's unlikely to have osteopenia in this age group. needs thorough examination and relevant investigations for the cause to start treatment

Post Owner

Hello Dr.
What kind of investigations. She has primary amenorrhea, is it the reason?

4 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories