Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Psychiatry

person-avatar

Asking for Sister, Female, 27 years old, Karachi

My sister is a diagnosed case of schizophrenia and is taking kempro and vepridone regularly BD. NOW she has concieved recently.kindly about about the possible effects of her medicines on fetus and whether she should continue or change the medicines.

Psychiatrist in Faisalabad - Dr. Nazia Tanveer

Dr. Nazia Tanveer - Psychiatrist

MBBS , MCPS (PSYCHIATRY) , FCPS (PSYCHIATRY) | Faisalabad

review-stars

35 Positive Reviews

Reduce the doss

Member of Marham-Forum

General recommendation for pregnancy is no or very low dose of psychiatric medications . However, this also depends on her mental state and how stable she is now, when did she have her last episode and length of her pregnancy. We do not have much data about Risperidone safety in pregnancy but it is generally considered safe and can be prescribed. Procyclidine can also be prescribed but one needs to look at risk and benefit of continuing treatment. dont think anyone will be able to advise on treatment without proper information and her current mental state. I suggest that she should be reviewed by psychiatrist to assess her mental state, establish the length of her pregnancy and discuss risk and benefits. Also pregnancy could be very stressful so she should be monitored closely throughout her pregnancy. I hope you got the answer

Post Owner

she has been married for 7 mnths,and its the first time she has concieved.
she is stable as long as taking medications.As soon as she stop taking her medicines,she suffer from insomnia,hallucinations and fits.
so in order to be stable she must take here medicines.

4 years ago

Sir, i liked your answer and approach.

4 years ago

Thanks Dr Fawad

4 years ago

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Dr. Irsa Hyder Shaikh

Dr. Irsa Hyder Shaikh - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psychiatry) | Karachi

review-stars

124 Positive Reviews

Its effects are kon early weeks . If conception has gone beyond 8 to 12 weeks . She z better advised to continue the medicine as risk is more if she leaves the medicine then from continuing it

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories