general-physician

Blood pressure

Asking for Husband, Male, 28 years old, karachi

Yesterday when my husband is coming from office he felt his hand and mouth gone numb and extreme pain in head. He went to some clinic for check his bp at that time his bp was 130/100. Then he went some other clinic and their dr said that bp is normal you have migraine pain. I want to ask is 130/100 bp is normal or its something to worry about? He hasn't any bp issue

4 Answer(s)

Facebook Marham Twitter Marham
Doctor Photo

up-vote

130/100 is not normal, esp with this complaint. kindly keep a record of your bp n visit doctor

Doctor Photo

up-vote

130/100 is not normal, esp with this complaint. kindly keep a record of your bp n visit doctor

Doctor Photo

up-vote

Aoa . thanks Marham . what is the built of your husband. and where are you
located. was he sitting very near to heater at office and when he came out
he felt like this ? when it was last when you had his labs for cholesterol
levels and diabetes done ?

Anonymous W'salam
His height is 5'11 and weight is almost 89 or 90 kgs
And there is no heater in his office

Anonymous His test is never done before.. He hasn't any issues of Bp Alhamdulliah. This was the first time.

Doctor Photo

up-vote

Asalam O Alikum. My first questions would be which hand and for how long did the feeling stay?
Checking blood pressure is not as simple as it looks. For starters the patient must be at rest and should have been that way for several minutes before a reading is taken. If blood pressure is taken immediately after walking, showering, having a cup of tea, exercise or in stress, the reading might be higher than normal. Therefore the patient needs to be sitting calmly in a chair or lying down for several minutes before taking a reading.
The second aspect is the BP apparatus. If it is not properly calibrated, if the mercury is not optimum or if the tube is not properly inclined (which happens in BP apparatuses in excessive use with the screw coming lose and producing a play in the upright column) the readings can vary. Sometimes if the cuff being applied to the arm is small and held in place by the examiner's hand, readings can be misleading.
It is therefore advisable to draw no inference from a single reading but to have at least three different readings at least six hours apart from different BP apparatuses he numbness, if in left hand or arm and in jaw or mouth is not a sign I would let go easily in a Pakistani male. 90% of the times I would be wrong and there would be no heart issues but in 7 to 10% of cases an echocardiogram or an exercise tolerance test would show signs of a pending heart attack and under such circumstances an angiography and stenting or bypass would ensure saving a 100% healthy heart. So my advice is if it was the left arm, do see a qualified physician or a cardiologist. If I am wrong, no harm done. If I am right, you get to save your heart...... One more thing: Partial descriptions on the internet make us do a lot of guessing and then makes you panic.... don't panic, just take steps in the right direction.

Dr. Zeeshan Junejo absolutely right. get your husband's fasting . CBC
lipid profile
LFT
Fasting Blood sugar
Serum Uric acid
Hba1c. Urine R/E.

Anonymous It was his right arm and after half an hour when he checked his bp from another clinic his bp was 130/90.
One thing i have to mention here, almost 6, 7 years before husband ka accident hua tha jis mai naak ki haddi mai fracture hua tha.. and he also had sinus problem..
We consulted with one dr. Here he said k headache and chakkar uski waja sy aaraha hai

Dr. Ahsan Masood Khan For a 28 year old male, a diastolic (lower) reading of 90 is very much borderline and the systolic (upper) reading of 130 is within normal limits but I'd like to know if it is familial otherwise I'd be happier if it was nearer to 120 rather than 139.
Having said that, the two readings are only half hour apart and therefore will be considered same. Have two more readings after proper rest.
Allergy does play a role in raising blood pressures temporarily but whether your husband did have allergic rhinitis or sinusitis is guessing too much.
If the next two readings come on borderline that is upper on 140 and lower on 90 I would recommend you get the tests Dr. Junejo has suggested and see a physician in person rather than talking to us here on the net.
Have a lovely evening and a great week ahead.

Anonymous Ok dr. Thank you so much for your suggestions i'll surely do this.. and yes his mother and father both have high bp problem.
And also we monitored his bp after 2 days one day his bp was 130/80 and other day his bp was 110/80

Copyrights © 2018 All Rights Reserved by Marham