Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to Psychiatry on Psychiatric

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Female, 32 years old, Lahore

I m patient of tricotillomania since many years. I get better bt again happens with me again n again. Took help from psychiatrist also ,got antidepressant to take always. I m just exhausted of my situation. I need help how can i get rid of it and what kind of diet i shd take which can help in my hair growth.

Member of Marham-Forum

hello,
i am very sorry to hear about the pain and stress you are going through.
treating the above disorder is multidimensional.
most people to think trichotillomania (soon to be renamed as hair pulling disorder) is a rare disorder involving stress and anxiety. ... When trichotillomania first develops (often around puberty), most individuals don't even realize they are pulling their hair.
An evaluation to determine if you have trichotillomania may include:

Examining how much hair loss you have
Asking questions and discussing your hair loss with you
Eliminating other possible causes of hair pulling or hair loss through testing determined by your doctor
Identifying any physical or mental health problems that may be associated with hair pulling.
Types of therapy that may be helpful for trichotillomania include:

Habit reversal training. This behavior therapy is the primary treatment for trichotillomania. You learn how to recognize situations where you're likely to pull your hair and how to substitute other behaviors instead. For example, you might clench your fists to help stop the urge or redirect your hand from your hair to your ear. Other therapies may be used along with habit reversal training.
Cognitive therapy. This therapy can help you identify and examine distorted beliefs you may have in relation to hair pulling.
Acceptance and commitment therapy. This therapy can help you learn to accept your hair-pulling urges without acting on them.
an antidepressant, such as clomipramine (Anafranil). Other medications that research suggests may have some benefit include N-acetylcysteine (as-uh-tul-SIS-tee-een), an amino acid that influences neurotransmitters related to mood, and olanzapine (Zyprexa), an atypical antipsychotic.
please i would suggest not to take any medications with the out supervision and contact a good counselor who can help .

Member of Marham-Forum

I was using flux as prescribed by dr.,shd i continue it. Hair loss is at worst stage ,bald patches appeared, i recover but then again i get indulge in this bald habit, sometimes i feel it will never change.

Psychiatrist in Karachi - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aneel Kumar Keswani - Psychiatrist

MBBS , FCPS (Psychiatry) | Karachi

review-stars

1406 Positive Reviews

Hi there, no diet will help to grow hairs in trichotelomania because hair loss is because of behavioural problem which is compulsive act due to underlying thought which may be obsessions of any kind of anxiety in which person pulls hairs to control underlying anxiety or thoughts that leads to hair loss, this condition need proper management which includes medications is underlying anxiety, obsessions or depression and to control compulsive behaviour you need proper psychotherapy ( highly recommend) thanks

Member of Marham-Forum

Dr Aneel has rightly pointed out trichtilomania is a manifestation of OCD . It is a relapsing and remitting disease requiring long-term therapy with SSRIs and behaviour therapy. You are required to see a psychiatrist. To grow hair drugs like minoxidel are available for local application

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq

Prof. Dr. Ismail Tariq - Psychiatrist

MBBS, DPM, MCPS (PSYCHIATRY), FCPS (PSYCHIATRY) | Lahore

review-stars

322 Positive Reviews

Dr Aneel has rightly pointed out trichtilomania is a manifestation of OCD . It is a relapsing and remitting disease requiring long-term therapy with SSRIs and behaviour therapy. You are required to see a psychiatrist. To grow hair drugs like minoxidel are available for local application

Psychiatrist in Lahore - Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana

Dr. Usman Amin Hotiana - Psychiatrist

MBBS, FCPS (Psych) | Lahore

review-stars

8 Positive Reviews

Hair pulling can come along different psychiatric illnesses. It can range
from a nasty habit to abnormal condition as mentioned by my worthy
colleagues above. A long history can be very discouraging , I understand.

I would suggest to undergo a full assessment to see what kind of problems
are contributing in maintaining this condition of yours. Solutions range
from medications to therapies.

You can visit a nearby govt. hospital for free consultation. Or if you are
interested in a private sitting , you can visit a nearby professional.
In any case dont lose hope.

Dr Usman Amin Hotiana
MBBS, FCPS (Psych)
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track)
Academic Department of Psychiatry & Behavioural Sciences
King Edward Medical University & Mayo Hospital

Member of Marham-Forum

Please recommend good psychotherapists in lahore. Thank u so much.

Member of Marham-Forum

Please recommend good psychotherapists in lahore. Thank u so much.

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories