What is Hepatology?
It is the branch of medicine that is concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of the diseases or medical conditions that affect the liver, gall bladder, biliary tree and the pancreas.
What are the Doctors of Hepatology called?
The field covers multiple organs and therefore there are many specialists who are qualified to deal with liver-related diseases and other disorders related to biliary tree, pancreas and the gall bladder.
A gastroenterologist is trained with the treatment and diagnosis of liver diseases, based on their personal exposure and experience in the field. A hepatologist, on the other hand, is most experienced and qualified to treat people who may have liver diseases. They are also often referred to as liver specialists.
When Is It Time To See A Hepatologist?
Any of the following signs and symptoms should indicate the onset or triggering of a liver disease and therefore, you should book an appointment with a hepatologist/liver specialist right away:
- Skin and eyes that appear yellowish (jaundice)
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Itchy skin
- Dark urine color
- Pale stool color, or bloody or tar-colored stool
- Chronic fatigue
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Tendency to bruise easily
What do the Hepatologist treat?
- Alagille Syndrome
- Alcohol And The Liver
- Alpha 1 Anti-Trypsin Deficiency
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Biliary Atresia
- Cirrhosis and Complications
- Cystic Disease of the Liver
- Fatty Liver Disease
- Gilbert’s Syndrome
- Liver Cancer
- Liver disease in pregnancy
- Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency (LALD)
- Neonatal Hepatitis
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis (formerly Primary Biliary Cirrhosis)
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
- Reye’s Syndrome
- Toxic Hepatitis
- Type 1 Glycogen Storage Disease
- Viral Hepatitis A, B, C
- Wilson Disease
Now you can find best Hepatologist/Liver specialist in all major cities of Pakistan.