Strong, healthy nails not just look beautiful but they also indicate that your body is functioning properly.
The appearance of your nails can indicate a lot more than you usually expect. It is important that you pay attention to how your nails look, either they are discoloured or appear cracked, split, or brittle because these signs can indicate an infection or a heart, liver, or lung disease.
Read on to know more how changes in the appearance of nails might indicate your health status.
Discolouration of Nails:
Healthy nails are slightly pink with pinkish-white base (moons). If your nails are pale, dull, or streaked with other colours, it may indicate the presence of a health disorder.
1. Greenish coloured nails are a result of a bacterial infection.
2. Bluish nails show that there is a deficiency of oxygen in the blood. It may be due to a lung disease such as emphysema. To book an appointment with the best pulmonologist in Karachi and Lahore visit Marham.pk.
3. Red lines in your nail bed are a warning of a heart valve disease.
4. Yellow nails are mostly due to a fungal infection. To consult an infectious disease specialist in Lahore, Karachi and other main cities of Pakistan visit Marham.pk.
In rare cases, yellow nails may also mean the presence of a severe thyroid problem, lung disease, diabetes, or psoriasis.
5. White nails with darker rims indicate a liver problem like hepatitis. To find and consult with the best hepatologist in Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan visit Marham.pk.
Unusual Appearance of Nails:
6. Thick nails might be a result of a circulatory problem, fungal infection, a thyroid disorder, or psoriasis. Allergic reaction to some medications can also lead to thickening of nails.
7. Split nails are caused by nutrient deficiency. These nails appear to flake away in layers. It may be due to a deficiency of folic acid, vitamin C, or protein.
8. Dry and brittle nails that don’t improve even after moisturising may be a symptom of a fungal infection or thyroid problem. Thyroid disease can cause your nails to crack and split easily. A fungus can make the fingernails dry and even crumbly.
9. Pitted nails are a sign of psoriasis or a connective tissue disorder. If the pit appears as a line across the middle of your nail then it indicates zinc deficiency.
10. Clubbed nails happen when the skin around your nail swell up or your nail appears to be puffed around your finger. Clubbed nails may be a sign of a liver disease, lung disorder, or inflammatory bowel disease.
Your nails may not act as a confirmation of a health disorder but it is important to seek medical help if your nails seem unusual and unpleasant.
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018