You have heard it many times that fats are not good for body but there is one fat which is absolutely good for maintenance of healthy body. That is Omega-3 Fatty Acids! Yes , these are particular type of unsaturated fatty acid with potent health benefits.
Our body is able to synthesize saturated fatty acids but unable to make omega-3 fatty acids by itself so we have to consume them, hence they are called “essential fatty acids”.
What makes omega-3 fats important?
According to Review Journal, “Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to healthy aging throughout life.”
Omega 3 fatty acids are most important, as they bring balance to our hormones, reduce inflammation, regulate our blood sugar, prevent blood clotting, keep our cholesterol and triglycerides in balance, relax our blood vessels, and make our cells healthy and resilient.
Types of Omega-3s in Foods:
According to National Center for Complementary and integrative Health, there are three types of omega-3 fatty acids found in food:
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
Omega-3 fatty acids are one of those nutrients that are known to be packed with numerous health benefits. Some of the major significant benefits of these fatty acids include:
According to US Department of health and human services, “Omega 3 fatty acid is one such oil that is available in seafood and is highly beneficial for the human diet, in terms of brain function and cardiovascular health.”
- Preventing heart-related diseases and keeping your heart healthy.
- Fight and prevent mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder. Get the help of the best psychologist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
- Prevent autoimmune diseases like type-1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, leaky gut syndrome, and lupus, etc.
- Reduce inflammation which is at the root of most diseases.
- Lowering cancer risks especially prostate and breast cancer
- Maybe linked to the development of healthy bones and joints by increasing bone density and increasing the synthesis of bone collagen.
- Improve sleep quality
- Crucial for infant and child development as they are significantly involved in retinal and brain development. To book an appointment with the best pediatrician in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan visit Marham.pk
- Decreasing the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- May prevent menstrual pain.
- Linked to healthy skin. To maintain skin health book an appointment with the best skin specialist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via Marham
- Slowing down the ageing process
Caution: The most common side effects from fish oil are indigestion and gas. Getting a supplement with a coating might help. Omega-3 supplements (DHA/EPA) can make bleeding more likely.
Best Sources of Omega-3 Fatty acids:
According to American Health Association, “patients who do not have a history of heart disease eat at least 2 servings of fish each week (a total of 6-8 ounces).”
Although omega-3 supplements are widely available. It is more beneficial to obtain them from natural sources such as:
- Fish – mackerel, tuna, salmon, and sardines
- Flaxseeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds
- Green, leafy vegetables
- Fish oil (also available as capsules known as “fish capsules”)
Fact: An omega-3 fatty acid called DHA is a major structural component of your eyes’ retinas. It may help prevent macular degeneration, which can cause vision impairment and blindness.
Omega-3 fatty acids are loaded with physical and mental health benefits. They are easily available both naturally or synthetically. It’s essential to have a diet plan that fulfills the need of omega-3s because of which they play a critical role in maintaining your health at any age.