Table of Content
Omega-3 fatty acids are a particular type of unsaturated fatty acid with many health benefits. Our body is able to synthesize saturated fatty acids but it can’t make omega-3 fatty acids by itself so we have to consume them, hence they are called “essential fatty acids”.
Types of Omega-3s in Foods:
There are three types of omega-3 fatty acids found in food:
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
Benefits of Omega-3s:
Omega-3 fatty acids are one of those nutrients that are known to be packed with numerous health benefits. Some of the major significant roles of these fatty acids include:
- Preventing heart-related diseases and keeping your heart healthy.
- Fight and prevent mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder. Get the help of the best psychologist in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
- Prevent autoimmune diseases like type-1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, leaky gut syndrome, and lupus, etc.
- Reduce inflammation which is at the root of most diseases.
- Lowering cancer risks especially prostate and breast cancer.
- Maybe linked to the development of healthy bones and joints by increasing bone density and increasing the synthesis of bone collagen.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Crucial for infant and child development as they are significantly involved in retinal and brain development. To book an appointment with the best pediatrician in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan visit Marham.pk.
- Decreasing the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- May prevent menstrual pain.
- Linked to healthy skin. To maintain skin health book an appointment with the best skin specialist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
- Slowing down the ageing process.
Best Sources of Omega-3 Fatty acids:
Although omega-3 supplements are widely available it’s more beneficial to obtain them from natural sources such as:
- Fish – mackerel, tuna, salmon, and sardines
- Flaxseeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds
- Green, leafy vegetables
- Fish oil (also available as capsules known as “fish capsules”)
Omega-3 fatty acids are loaded with physical and mental health benefits. They are easily available both naturally or synthetically. It’s essential to have a diet plan that fulfills the need of omega-3s because of which they play a critical role in maintaining your health at any age.
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018
- 7 Genius Hacks To Learn Like A Pro! - September 11, 2018