Ovarian cysts (cystic tumors of the ovary) are fluid-filled pockets that develop in the ovary or on the surface of the ovaries. In every female, two ovaries (about the size and shape of an almond) are present on either side of the uterus. Ovulation occurs inside the ovaries.
When Do Ovarian Cysts Develop?
- Ovarian cysts may develop in women at some time but most commonly occur when women are in the child-bearing phase.
- These cystic tumors of the ovary may also develop before and after the menopause of a woman. Book an appointment through Marham.pk with the Best Gynecologist in Karachi, Best Gynecologists In Lahore, Best Gynecologists In Islamabad and all other main cities of Pakistan to get professional help regarding your reproductive health issues.
Symptoms Of Ovarian Cysts:
Usually, ovarian cysts are considered as ‘silent epidemic’ as they do not show any symptoms. However, in severe cases, the following complications can be seen:
- Swelling of abdomen
- Severe pelvic pain during and before the menstrual cycle
Causes Of Ovarian Cysts:
- Develop naturally in women who get monthly periods and also who have been through menopause.
- Every month, eggs are produced inside the ovaries. These eggs are released and they travel through the fallopian tubes into the womb where they get fertilized by a man’s sperm. Each egg is formed inside a follicle that has a fluid inside it which protects the egg. Follicles burst when they release the egg and discharge the fluid. However, in some cases, follicles do not do so. They do not discharge the fluid and egg and swell, hence becoming a ‘cyst’.
- Endometriosis: Pieces of tissues called ‘endometrium’ that line outside the womb form into blood-filled cysts that develop in the bladder, vagina, rectum, ovaries and fallopian tubes.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Result of altered hormones, small egg follicles that do not grow to ovulation. Want to know what’s true and what’s not about PCOS?
Must Read: 5 Best Gynecologists in Lahore
How Are Ovarian Cysts Treated?
Commonly, cysts are harmless and disappear after a few months without surgical treatment. However, in severe cases, they do require the following treatments:
A surgeon makes an incision in the abdomen, performs an immediate biopsy and removes the cyst. But when the cyst is cancerous, hysterectomy may be performed (removal of uterus and ovaries).
A surgeon makes a tiny cut near the navel and inserts an instrument inside the abdomen to remove the cyst. To book an appointment with the best laparoscopic surgeon in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan visit Marham.pk.
Gynecologists recommend using oral contraceptives to stop ovulation. It reduces the risk of ovarian cancer.
Disorders involving ovaries are the most frequent problems faced by women. Most of them are treatable at their initial stages and women are able to conceive children. However, late diagnosis often results in the surgical removal of the affected parts rendering the patient unable to conceive a child.
Few Most Popular Gynecologists:
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018