Breakfast is the power starter of the day. Everyone wishes to have it as heavier as possible. Yet, people with diabetes give special attention to it, as a slight change in it may impact their overall health. Therefore, they must choose the best bread for diabetics to eat for breakfast.
Diabetes is a metabolic condition that occurs when insulin is not produced or used by the human body. Thus, it makes it difficult for the blood to maintain its sugar or insulin level. This condition is dealt with by medicines. A healthy diet also plays a vital role in this regard. For people with diabetes, it is essential to choose a breakfast that is rich in fiber and carbohydrates. Also, their diet must contain low fats and sugars. Oat-made bread is the exact breakfast a diabetic patient could have.
Why is Oat-made Bread Best for Diabetics to Eat?
Oatmeal bread is the best bread for diabetics to eat. If you have diabetes, then you should start taking it in your breakfast as it has the following advantages:
- It regulates blood sugar. This is because of the presence of high fibers in it.
- The low glycemic index of oats balances the high blood glucose level.
- Oat-made bread is the best bread for diabetics to eat because it’s temporarily effective against insulin sensitivity. A research study in 2015 claims that diabetics who eat Oatmeal acquire better glucose and insulin response than those who don’t take an oatmeal-free diet.
- The soluble fiber in oatmeal makes it a good fit for heart health. It also helps in lowering cholesterol levels in the human body. Note that high cholesterol level is lethal for diabetics as it may affect their heart health.
- It is rich in carbohydrates, which are necessary for the healthy working of a diabetic’s body. If an adequate amount of carbohydrates is not taken by the diabetic, he may suffer from hypoglycemia, which is a health condition in which blood glucose drops to a drastic level.
- Because of fiber richness, oat bread makes diabetics feel full for a longer time. Thus, they don’t eat enough calories, which helps in losing weight.
- It is easy to digest and helps regulate the process of digestion.
Note: It must be noted that simply adding oatmeal to the diet isn’t enough for dealing with insulin sensitivity. Preventive measures must be taken as prescribed by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects of Oatmeal on People with Diabetes?
The universal truth is that oatmeal is a diabetic-friendly food. But, sometimes, it may become harmful to diabetic’s health. Therefore, it is essential to mention the disadvantages of it as follows:
- If too much sugar is added to the oatmeal, it may lead to increased blood glucose levels.
- Diabetics who have gastroparesis should avoid oat-made bread as it slows down the stomach-emptying process.
- The drugs such as hypolipidemic and psychotropic become difficult to absorb. Thus, the patient’s body suffers due to the lack of such drugs.
How is Oatmeal Prepared?
Oatmeal is prepared with oat kernel. The husk of the oat kernel is removed, and then the oat beans are used in different foods. The more oat kernels are processed, the faster they will be digested by the stomach, so there will be increased blood sugar levels.
How Many Slices of Bread should a Diabetic Eat per Day?
A diabetic should take a minimum of one and a half or a maximum of two slices of refined white flour bread per day. On the other hand, if it comes to oatmeal bread, the doctors recommend that two slices are more than enough. One slice of bread can provide approximately 32 calories.
For diabetics, the total calories obtained from the bread should not exceed 90.
How to Make Oat Bread?
To make oat bread follow these steps:
- Mix the salt, yeast, and water in a large container
- Add all-purpose flour and oat flour one by one.
- Mix the dough
- Leave it for approximately 2 hours. Make sure to leave it in a warm environment. If you are leaving it overnight, then don’t forget to store it in the fridge.
- Then sprinkle a little bit of all-purpose flour on the dough. This is done to avoid the sticky texture of the dough.
- Place this dough in a baking bowl
- Apply grease to the dough
- Put it into a baking oven at 350 degrees temperature for 30-40 minutes.
- Once your bread is ready, apply jam, honey or butter in moderation as their increased levels may disturb the insulin level of diabetics
To this end, it is noted that Oatmeal plays an essential role in balancing the glucose level of a diabetic. It is rich in carbohydrates and soluble fibers. But, it must be taken in moderation, as it has adverse effects on those suffering from gastroparesis. Moreover, it is noted that the best bread for diabetics to eat is one made from oats. It is a good breakfast choice for diabetics as compared to bread made from simple white flour.
Are you looking for a nutritionist for your diabetic meal management? If yes, then connect with Pakistan’s best nutritionist online at Marham.pk.
1. Which ingredients must be avoided in diabetic bread?
High fructose, trans fats, dough conditioners such as Azodicarbonamide, synthetic emulsifiers like DATEM, and artificial food colors must be avoided when making diabetic’s bread.
2. Is butter good for diabetics?
Butter is suitable for diabetics, but only when it is taken in moderation. If it is taken in larger quantities, it may disturb the insulin levels in the diabetic’s body.
3. What is the best breakfast for a diabetic to eat?
Diabetics should drink tea with oatmeal bread as it helps in balancing their blood glucose levels.
4. Which flour is best for diabetics?
Diabetics can use wheat flour. But apart from this, oat flour is absolutely the best option for them to go with.
5. Which is the best bread for diabetics to eat?
The best bread for diabetics to eat is the one made from oats.