Pregnancy is not an easy journey. With a lot of other physiological changes, one of them is having a persistent headache during pregnancy. But during pregnancy, you have very little choice of taking medicines. That’s why bearing this pain along with other pregnancy-related problems is not an easy task.
But that doesn’t mean you should ignore this problematic situation. Because it affects you in so many ways. It alters your sleep-wake cycle and reduces your appetite. Consequently, your overall health is affected by this headache. So, you need to consult your doctor about it. You can consult the best gynecologist in Lahore through Marham.
Headache during pregnancy starts anytime during pregnancy. Sometimes the triggers are in the first trimester, sometimes in the second or in the third trimester. But some of the main causes of this headache are;
- Hormonal changes
- Pregnancy fatigue
- Tension or stress of pregnancy
- Physical or emotional stress
- Overeating due to increased appetite during the pregnancy
- Sinus congestion or allergies
- Not getting enough sleep
- Low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
- Caffeine deprivation (if not taking tea or coffee during pregnancy)
- History of migraine
Anyone or two or sometimes all the factors combined and trigger the headache in pregnant females.
Treatment of headache during pregnancy:
- Call your gynecologist or midwife before taking any medicine
- Take rest in a dark quiet room
- Put an ice pack on the back of your neck (in case of stress-related headache)
- In case of sinus issues and congestion, take a steam or drink hot herbal tea. You can also try soup for relieving your congestion
- Paracetamol is considered safe to take during pregnancy. You can take the medicine with a doctor’s recommended dose.
How to prevent pregnancy headaches?
- Avoid the triggers
- Don’t take the stress
- Take enough sleep
- Drink lots of liquids like juices
- Stay hydrated
- Eat well
- Don’t overburden yourself
- Seek a peaceful and quiet place for your rest
- Don’t cut caffeine from your diet too fast to avoid withdrawal symptoms
- Get some fresh air to keep yourself fresh
- Avoid things that are triggers for your nausea. As nausea also starts headache
These are some of the important preventive measures you can take to avoid headaches while you are pregnant.
Sometimes this headache is a sign of more serious conditions or diseases like pre-eclampsia. This involves high blood pressure with kidney problems in pregnant women. So, if you suffer from constant headaches, you should consult your doctor immediately.
You can find and consult the best gynecologist in Lahore through Marham.
Marham is also providing an online consultation facility, where you can find and consult the best doctors in Pakistan through online video consultation. Marham’s official website and mobile app provide this facility. It’s a trustworthy method of consultation that is only a click away now. Your privacy is Marham’s priority as your information is highly confidential.
Latest posts by Aiman Usman (Doctor of Pharmacy) (see all)
- How to Raise A Child With Leadership Skills? - September 17, 2021
- How To Improve Vision In 7 Days?-Know The Easy Ways! - September 11, 2021
- Importance Of Personal Hygiene In Islam! - September 7, 2021