Migraine is a name synonymous with throbbing pain and days of discomfort for people experiencing it.
Urdu name for migraine is ۔ درد شقیقہ
It is estimated that as much as 65% of people have a migraine once a year. It is the debilitating pain and in many people, it leads to several allied symptoms like sensitivity to sound and light. Most people have migraine headaches at one side of the head but it can occur on both sides as well. Some of the people affected with migraine have a characteristic predicting symptoms before migraine pain starts. This is called migraine aura.
Let’s understand why migraine occurs?
What are the types of migraines? and what are the natural remedies that work for migraine cure?
What is the fastest way to cure a migraine?
Which foods can help in preventing and relieving a migraine?
Why Migraine is Caused?
No specific migraine causes have been identified so far. Researchers are convinced that these pains arise as a result of changes in brain chemicals. Specifically, levels of serotonin and another neurotransmitter called calcitonin gene-related peptide are under focus. Genetics also appears to play a significant role here. Changes associated with brainstem and trigeminal nerve are also thought to be the reason for migraines.
Causes of Migraine In Women
In females, hormonal alterations can also trigger migraines. Women experience migraines specifically during menstruation due to altered hormones in the body.
However, many migraine triggers are known. These include:
Emotional triggers include stress, mood swings, depression, as well as a sudden shock or excitement can also lead to a migraine attack.
Excessive tiredness, muscle tension, and aches, going through a jet lag or excessive physical exertion also tend to initiate a migraine headache.
Foods that have tyramine, citrus fruits, cheese, chocolates, caffeine, and alcohol tend to trigger a migraine headache.
Medicines like some specific sleeping pills, contraceptives, and drugs used for hormone
replacement therapy is believed to be able to cause migraines.
Bright lights, sounds, and certain smells plus changes in temperature can also set off a migraine.
Too much or too little sleep can also cause a migraine headache.
Types of Migraine
When you hear the word migraine the first thing that comes to your mind throbbing pain. But migraine is much more than just pain it is a neurological disorder. There are several subtypes of migraine which are discussed below:
Some people who experience migraines tend to have an aura which signals that a bad migraine attack is on its way. The aura consists of a series of sensory and visual symptoms like seeing black dots or feeling tingling or numbness on one side of the body. It can last anywhere between 10-30 minutes.
Common migraine is difficult to differentiate from other headaches due to no specific initial symptoms. It lacks the prodrome and aura phase. However, photophobia, phonophobia, pain on one side of the head, pain that aggravates by physical activity, nausea and vomiting are characteristic symptoms of the common migraine.
Migraine Without Headache
It is also called silent migraine or Acephalgic migraine. Here the affectees experience a dizzying aura, visual symptoms, nausea, other phases of migraine but no headache. This type is also referred to as a typical aura with no head pain.
A migraine that feels more like a stroke and includes numbness of one side of the body, with pins and needles sensation is termed as hemiplegic migraine. People with this kind of migraine develop weakness on one side of their body. Visual symptoms may also follow but there may or may not be a severe headache in this case.
The migraine that results in temporary loss of vision in one eye is called Retina mIgraine. Women are among the most commonly affected ones by this that also during their childbearing years. A little is known about this condition but affected people must see a specialist.
If you tend to have migraines for more than 15 days/month you are suffering from chronic pain. The severity of pain and symptoms may vary over these days. In this case, you might need to find and consult the best neurologists in town. To find the best neurologists in Pakistan visit marham.pk.
Natural Remedies For Migraine
Natural remedies are employed and sworn by many people who find these effective in migraine relief. Some people even say that this is the fastest way to relieve a migraine. Some of the popular natural remedies for migraine treatment naturally are discussed below:
- Acupressure is also used for alleviating migraine pain and allied symptoms of nausea. In acupressure, a therapist applies pressure to specific points in hands to relieve pain and discomfort symptoms.
- Feverfew is another herb known to help minimize symptoms of migraine. Although there is no science-backed evidence found to support this claim but sill it’s a popular remedy among masses.
- Peppermint oil is another popular ingredient for migraine treatment naturally. The menthol found in peppermint oil is known to inhibit a migraine attack. Applying this oil to the forehead and temples eases migraine-associated symptoms of light sensitivity, pain, and nausea.
- Inhaling lavender oil or applying diluted lavender oil to temples has been found effective in migraine relief. You may need to inhale it for 15 minutes.
- Ginger is equal to the prescription drug in its activity against nausea and pain due to migraine. It is popularly used for nausea due to other conditions as well. Since it has fewer side effects it can be safely used for migraine treatment in pregnancy as well.
- Yoga is another great aid for feeling better during a migraine attack. It employs body posture, breathing techniques, and meditation to hamper the frequency, duration, and intensity of migraines.
- Another relaxation method called biofeedback is also used for the treatment of migraines naturally. It is specifically helpful to dampen migraines arising due to physical triggers such as stress and muscle tension.
- Besides these, all adding magnesium to your diet is a great way to prevent migraines with aura. This also prevents migraine symptoms in women during menstruation.
- Magnesium deficiency is associated with headaches and migraines. Foods containing magnesium include:
- Sesame seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Brazil nuts
- Peanut butter
Foods That Can Cause Migraine
As migraine pain is so disabling and annoying people suffering often want to know what is the fastest way to cure migraine?
What is the latest treatment for migraines?
What are the natural remedies for migraines?
And so on. Studies show that certain foods can help in relieving and others can trigger a migraine attack. So people who have migraines might consider this. The foods that can trigger a migraine attack include:
Foods Containing Preservatives
Foods containing preservatives such as MSG can trigger migraine pain. So people with migraines might watch out if preserved food and prepackaged ready to eat type varieties trigger this pain in them. Avoiding foods having yeast, nitrates, phenylalanine, artificial flavors and other additives might help.
Below is the list of foods to avoid in case of migraine:
- Marinated meats
- Highly flavored chips
- Nut butter
- Bottled salad dressings
- Packaged sauces
- Aged cheese
- Boxed vegetables
- Dry fruits containing sulfites
If you are trying to manage migraines at home finding out which foods trigger a migraine for you might help a lot. Along with this, it is important to find and consult a doctor to get help in the diagnosis and management of this problem. Using Marham.pk, you can book an appointment with the best neurologists in Pakistan. Don’t suffer in silence and get help for this problem today.
Latest posts by Sehrish (see all)
- Stomach Ulcers, Causes, and Role of Diet in Treatment - January 15, 2020
- ہرنیا کیا ہے ؟ جانیے اسکی علامات وجوہات اور بچاؤ کے طریقے - January 13, 2020
- Pneumonia Symptoms, Causes and More - January 13, 2020