Leptin is a hormone that is produced by the body fat cells. It is often referred to as the “satiety hormone” or the “starvation hormone”. Leptin’s primary target is in the cerebrum, especially a region called the hypothalamus. Leptin is supposed to tell the brain that we have enough fat stored, that we don’t have to eat, and that we can consume calories at a normal rate. It likewise has numerous different functions related to fertility, resistance, brain function and others.
What is Leptin Resistance?
Individuals who are obese have a lot of body fat in their fat cells. Since fat cells deliver leptin in the extent to their size, obese individuals likewise have abnormal amounts of leptin. Given the way leptin should work, these individuals shouldn’t eat; their brain should realize that they have a lot of energy stored.
However, the issue is that the leptin signal isn’t working. There’s a whole ton of leptin drifting around, yet the mind doesn’t see that it is there. This condition is known as Leptin Resistance. It is now believed to be the fundamental biological abnormality in human obesity.
Leptin Resistance Symptoms:
If you have leptin resistance, you may have side effects of low leptin in spite of really having high leptin. These include:
- Solid hunger desires
- Weight gain
- Hormone imbalance
- Fatigue and low thyroid hormones
- Other metabolic issues
- Chronic inflammation
Factors that Contribute to Leptin Resistance:
Likewise, with all hormone issues, Leptin resistance is a complex issue for no particular reason, yet there are numerous elements that can adversely affect Leptin levels including:
- Fructose consumption (particularly in forms like High Fructose Corn Syrup)
- High-stress levels
- Utilization of plenty of simple carbs
- Lack of sleep
- High insulin level
- Excessive workout, particularly if your hormones are already damaged
- Grain and lectin utilization
How to Reverse Leptin Resistance?
Treating and reversing Leptin Resistance can be tricky but it’s not impossible. There are several things you can do in order to reverse Leptin Resistance, all you need to do is little effort:
- Avoid processed food because these foods can promote inflammation which may further increase leptin levels.
- Exercise daily, physical activity may help you to reverse leptin resistance. But avoid excessive workout, only do right kind of exercises.
- It is very important for you to optimize your sleep. Lack of sleep help in increasing insulin/blood sugar level, inflammation, and leptin resistance. Take 8 hours of sleep per night.
- Reduce your protein consumption, it can help you reduce leptin levels as well.
- If you have high insulin level then try to reduce and treat high insulin level.