Appendicitis occurs when your appendix becomes inflamed. The appendix is a finger-shaped pouch that protrudes out from the colon on the lower right side of your abdomen. Inflammation of appendix happens when it is blocked. If the blockage continues, your appendix gets infected with bacteria and its tissue starts to degenerate due to lack of blood supply which leads to the rupture of the appendix (perforated or ruptured appendix).
Appendicitis can happen at any time, but it’s most common in teens and twenties. Males are more prone to appendicitis than females. Appendicitis is the most common pediatric condition that needs an emergency abdominal surgery.
What are the Symptoms of Appendicitis?
1-Pain around the navel (umbilicus) that usually shifts to the right lower abdomen (towards the right hip) over a period of 24 hours.
2. Loss of appetite
5. May experience diarrhea
7. Bloated abdomen.
What Causes Appendicitis?
n many cases, the cause for appendicitis is unknown. Multiple causes may be responsible for one case of appendicitis. Obstruction in the lining of appendix is likely to be the cause of appendicitis. The blockage may be either partial or complete. Bacteria cause infection by multiplying rapidly which leads to the formation of pus. Immediate surgical removal of appendix is needed in case of complete obstruction. To find the best general surgeon in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan visit Marham.pk.
The appendix is often blocked due to an accumulation of fecal matter. It can also be the result of:
1. Enlarged lymphoid nodes
2. Parasitic worms
5. Formation of pus due to the infection produced by rapidly multiplying bacteria increases the pressure that can be painful. It can also compress local blood vessels affecting the normal blood flow. A lack of blood flow to the appendix may cause gangrene.
6=. Peritonitis is another possible cause of a ruptured appendix. It’s an inflammation of the tissue that lines the abdominal wall. Other organs can also become inflamed after a rupture. Affected organs may include the cecum, bladder, and sigmoid colon. This is a medical emergency. To find a hospital with the best emergency care services in Lahore, or other main cities of Pakistan log on to Marham.pk.
What are the Treatment Options for Appendicitis?
Treatment for appendicitis varies depending upon the details of your case. However, surgery is necessary in most of the cases.
- An appendectomy (removal of the appendix) must be performed in case of a ruptured appendix.
- Your doctor can remove the appendix either as open surgery or through a laparoscopy. Laparoscopy, being less invasive, makes the recovery time shorter. However, open surgery may be necessary if you suffer from an abscess or peritonitis.
- In rare cases, appendicitis may not need surgical treatment and get better by using a treatment plan involving antibiotics and a liquid diet until your symptoms disappear.
Few Most Popular General Surgeons:
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018