Table of Content
When we think of a word amputation, it doesn’t seem like a good idea. Obviously who would like to detach part of the body that is no longer in a healthy condition, but for some people especially diabetics it is a blessing in disguise as it saves the healthy part of the body discarding the dead one. Amputation is the process where a limb is removed because of medical illness. In amputation, surgery is often done to control pain or expansion of the disease in the affected limb.
Why Amputation becomes Necessary?
Diabetic patients are more prone towards this disease because the sometimes diabetic patient gets Peripheral artery disease (PAD) due to which nerves get damaged. Manage your diabetes with the help of the best endocrinologist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities via Marham.pk. Numbness of feet can occur due to damaged nerves due to which a patient might not feel wound on his/her feet which can cause it to grow and become infected. When chances of spreading an infection towards patients’ bones increases due to damaged tissue, Amputation becomes necessary. The most common amputations in people with diabetes are the toes, feet, and lower legs.
What are the Consequences of Limb Amputation?
- Amputation leaves a great impact on a patient’s mind. The grief of a lost limb is indescribable hence doctors often recommend counseling of a patient. To find the best psychologist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities visit Marham.pk.
- Due to the removal of limbs person feels helpless hence physical therapy, stretching exercises often begins right after surgery to help the patient recover better. Marham can help you find the best physiotherapist in Karachi and all other main cities of Pakistan as well.
- When a limb is removed person becomes depressed hence doctors might prescribe them to practice walking with artificial limbs as soon as 10-15 days after surgery.
How To Care For Amputees Limbs?
For Long-term recovery caring for amputees’ limbs is necessary. Following are some of the ways to recover:
- Exercises to improve muscle strength and balance.
- Patients can use artificial limbs to assist them.
- To maintain healthy weight and blood pressure patients should avoid sugar-sweetened juice and soda. Know more about the appropriate diet by consulting with the best nutritionist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via Marham. You can also book online consultation to get yourself a personalized diet plan.
- Taking insulin and other diabetes medications as prescribed by the doctor is necessary.
- The patient should look for redness, wounds, blisters, or any discoloration on the feet and for that one must use a magnifying glass.
- Smoking should be avoided at any cost as it damages the blood vessels hence slows down the healing process.
- Wearing protective shoes often protect injuries to the patients’ toes or foot. Borjan or Medicare has a special range of shoes for medical patients.
– Despite all the measures mentioned above emotional support, including counseling, to help with grief over the loss of the limb is of utmost importance. Along with the prescribed medicines, counseling plays a vital role as it can help them to come to terms with their new body image.
Few Most Popular Endocrinologists In Pakistan:
Latest posts by Amina Hameed (see all)
- 5 Incredible Benefits Of Omega-3 On Health - September 25, 2018
- Not All Fats Are Bad, Try Healthy-Fat To Boost Health - September 23, 2018
- Top Five Reasons Of Premature Graying Of Hair - September 23, 2018