Table of Content
In Urdu, we say it “Khabat”. There is no doubt that this word is commonly used in our daily lives within our culture usually in the form of this sentence- “Tumhe tou khabat hogya hai shadi ka”, unfortunately denying the need of an individual hence the disapproval dumps a fully functioning mentally healthy human being into the depths of misery. The journey of suffering is sometimes endless just because of weak social support.
Obsessions are more than overthinking about a demand or desire and expressing it often. Let’s review how obsessions are a real mental health problem.
Now, what are the 3 ways of the road to meet obsessions? Struggle in understanding the term is approached through definition, informal assessment & formal evaluation defining 3 ways to confirm having obsessions. Take a look-
1-Definition in Psychology
Obsessions are when a client complains about unable to stop thinking about a specific topic. The control over particular thoughts is poor and leads to a feeling of restlessness when tries to control. A certain feeling also accompany obsessions due to the belief that it serves as an obstacle to restlessness or anxiety.
List of Common topics during obsessions–
Dirt & Contamination
Losing something precious
Disaster & Calamities
Having a fatal illness
Thinking about self
Some Points to Note
It is really important to make a chart about your thoughts relating to the specific topic even if you are planning to visit a mental health professional for evaluation. The chart serves as an evidence to help a clinician in diagnosis and providing effective therapeutic management plan. Here is an example chart for you to use instantly-
2-Some Questions to Ask Yourself Prior to Labeling as Obsessional
- Are there repetitive and persistent intrusive urges, thoughts or images?
- Are the thoughts interfering with your routine tasks? i.e. study, work, job, relationships, sleep, eating patterns
- Are you experiencing these thoughts since last 6 months?
- How many hours do you spend in thinking about a specific topic in 24 hours? (If more than couple of hours, it is alarming)
- What changes the thoughts brought in your life? i.e. physical health, dropout, poor academic grades
- Do you realize that your thoughts are unreasonable or excessive?
3- Time to Consider Formalities
First thing’s first, prior to mental health consultation, visit a physician for proper medical testing, the laboratory tests and physical examination including-
- Pulse Rate and Body Temperature
- Blood pressure, Abdomen, Heart & Lungs
- Complete Blood Count
- Series of blood tests to rule out drugs dosage level, TSH profile, metabolic issues
- Make sure you are not self-medicating
- Make sure you did not overdose anything and not experiencing side effects i.e. substance dependency and withdrawal
Coming towards a detailed interview session with a mental health service provider- You must prepare yourself to answer about the following in as much detail as you can and with 100% accuracy without any shame or fear. It is all about your health and would benefit you:
- Present complaints/symptoms
- When your symptoms first appear
- How much the symptoms are bothering you
- Your past medical/psychiatric history
- Family history
- Your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- How they affect your daily life
There would be questions relevant to any of the aspects of your life.