Table of Content
We’ve all been looking forward to winters, now here they come. So is the sneezing and wheezing that goes with it. Springs and winters bring to much to us. Beautiful weather, memories but also allergies. Some people suffer from allergies only but allergies also go hand-in-hand with asthma.
Some things that cause your allergy symptoms may also trigger an asthma attack, but allergies and asthma are not the same things. What can you do when pollen brings on shortness of breath, wheezing, and chest tightness?
Here Are Five Things You Should Know About Allergies And Asthma:
1. What Is Asthma?
Asthma has become very common nowadays. Anyone can get asthma. However, it is usually genetic and happens when one of the family members is carrying it. Asthma is not contagious. What happens in asthma is that our airways swell and get inflamed which causes trouble in breathing. Allergies and asthma are usually a result of many combinations and reactions. The swelling which is caused in the airways is the allergic reaction. This swelling narrows the airways which make it difficult for the air to reach the lungs and the people with asthma feel they can not breathe.
The basic symptoms of asthma include:
- Chest tightness or pain
- Troubled breathing
2. What Are Allergies?
Allergic reactions are the result of the lack of performance by our immune system. Our body produces antibodies which counter the allergens. When a person is exposed to allergens in the future, the body starts to produce chemicals such as histamine which results in allergies.
Allergy symptoms frequently include:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes
- Skin reactions.
3. The Connection Between Allergies And Asthma?
Allergies, not all the times are connected to asthma. People do develop allergies frequently but there are many conditions that are related and can occur together. Majority of the times, people with allergies do not develop asthma. But in some cases, the allergies can cause inflammation in the lungs too and asthma gets triggered easily. It is very important for the patient to identify the symptoms and take medications accordingly.
The early symptoms include:
- Frequent cough
- Shortness of breath
- A feeling of wheezing or tightness in the chest
- Extreme weakness when exercising
- Signs of respiratory infection, cold, or allergy
- Difficulty sleeping
4. Symptoms Of Allergies And Asthma
Both allergies and asthma are more or less the same. Asthma usually upsets us in the breathing and the activities related to it. Whereas allergies are caused by external factors such as dust and sharp scents. Both of them can cause respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and airway congestion. However, both of them have their own unique symptoms.
Allergies may cause us:
- Watery eyes and Itching
- Frequent Sneezing
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Rashes and hives
Asthma usually does not cause those symptoms. Instead, people with asthma more often experience:
- Chest tightness
- Coughing at night or in the early morning
5. How To Take Care Of Yourself With It?
If you have allergies and asthma all together try to avoid the things that can trigger your condition. Things such as pollen, dust, pet hair, and a few food items can upset your health and can trigger symptoms. You should try your best to keep your house free of these things, try to take those things out of your house which is likely to upset you.
Here Are A Few Things You Should Be Aware Of:
- Pay attention when pollen is around. Wear masks to protect yourself from inhaling it.
- Protect yourself from allergens. Use saline rinse for your nose can help keep your nose clear and may reduce symptoms.
- Take your asthma medications on time.
- Identify and avoid environmental triggers as much as possible. I.e dust, pollen, mold, smoke, air pollution.
- Wash your bedding and other regularly used items in hot water
- Vacuum and clean floors frequently
Consult a professional to know about your allergies. They can help you identify the things you should avoid eating and using. Asthma and Allergies can upset our basic functioning and this is the reason these issues should properly be addressed. To book a consultation with your favourite doctor, call Marham.pk at 03111222398 and connect efficiently.
Javeria Adil Chughtai
Latest posts by Javeria Adil Chughtai (see all)
- How Job Stress Affects Heart Health And 8 Ways To Deal With It - June 9, 2021
- 10 Facts Liver Health Is Improved By Drinking Coffee Everyday - June 3, 2021
- Bloating In Ramadan And 5 Easy Tips And Home Remedies To Beat It - June 2, 2021