Polio is the short form of ‘Poliomyelitis’. It is an acute, infectious viral disease that affects the Central Nervous System and invades the spinal cord of the infected person. It’s initial symptoms lead to severe paralysis of the limbs and muscles, therefore is also known as ‘infantile paralysis‘. More than half of all the cases of polio occurs in children under the age of 5 years. Pregnant women are more susceptible to polio as well. Know how to stay safe from infections during pregnancy book an appointment with the best gynecologist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
Symptoms of Polio:
- Muscle spasms and pains
- Vomiting and nausea
- Severe pain in the head
- Paralysis of limbs and muscles, throat and chest
Causes of Poliomyelitis:
- Caused by the Poliovirus.
- It enters the environment through the feces of an infected individual. Most commonly spreads in areas where there is poor sanitation.
- Since it is a very contagious disease, it may spread from person to person by direct contact.
- The virus enters into the person and then directly attacks the cells of his central nervous system and spinal cord.
- The virus stays in the intestines of the affected person and then enters the bloodstream from where it spreads to all parts of the body.
Following are the precautions you should take in order to prevent yourself from polio attack!
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Use a hand sanitizer if the soap is not available.
- Avoid close contact with infected people, this includes touching and using their used utensils and stuff.
- Getting regular counter checks on your vaccination to make sure it is still current (valid).
- Get medical checkups to boost the doses of your vaccination if required. Book an appointment with the best general physician in Karachi, Lahore or any other main city of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
Necessary precautions and vaccination must be taken in order to prevent polio. Life is precious and staying safe from infections that can disable and stigmatize a normal healthy life is of prime importance.
Few Most Popular General Physicians In Pakistan:
Latest posts by Noorul Huda (see all)
- 5 Useful Tips For Heart Patients To Follow During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- 5 Effective Tips To Prevent Headaches And Migraines During Ramadan - May 30, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Caffeine: Sources And Advantages. - September 17, 2018