Table of Content
A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure to remove a woman’s uterus. Approximately 300 out of every 100,000 women undergo this surgical procedure. It may be total hysterectomy in which removal of the uterus and cervix is done. Or it may be sub-total hysterectomy in which the removal of the body of the uterus is done while leaving the cervix behind. Or it may be radical hysterectomy which involves the removal of the uterus, cervix, a small portion of the upper part of the vagina and some soft tissue from within the pelvis is done. If it is done due to cancer, the surgery may involve gynecological oncologists. Now it is easy to Find best gynecological oncologist in Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi or any other main city of Pakistan online through Marham – Find a Doctor
It may be removed alone or with the removal of the uterus if they removed alone it is termed as oophorectomy and if the surgeon removes the ovaries with the removal of the uterus it is termed as hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy. These reproductive organs may be removed due to the presence of cancer or endometriosis. Consultant obstetricians are the ones who conduct these surgeries along with gynecological oncologists.
Mostly the hysterectomy is done due to the presence of following reasons
- Abnormal uterine bleeding or vaginal bleeding
- Cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous conditions of the cervix)
- Uterine prolapse (including pelvic relaxation).
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
No doubt that this surgical removal is done for the betterment of the person to avoid the harmful effects of abnormalities that are reported and diagnosed but this removal may cause some serious medical complications.
Short Term Effects:
Some side effects appeared after the surgery and by proper treatment vanish soon such as,
- General anesthetic: It may cause serious complications include
- Nerve damage
- allergic reaction
- Death in rear conditions
- Ureter, bladder or bowel damage: This can cause various problems such as:
- A frequent and severe need to urinate
- Severe infections
Long Term Effects:
The long-term side worst effects of this surgical method are following,
- Menopause. The female after this surgical removal will no longer have periods. If ovaries are removed during the hysterectomy, she may experience other menopause symptoms which may include following,
- Hot flushes
- Vaginal dryness
- Disturbed sleep
- Change in sexual feelings.
Some women suffer from any of the following conditions
- Vaginal dryness
- Less interest in sex after this removal, especially in the case when the ovaries are also removed.
- Increased risk for other health problems.
If both ovaries are removed surgically, this may put the patient at higher risk of getting certain abnormal conditions which may include:
- Bone loss
- Bone brittleness
- Heart disease
- Urinary incontinence (leaking of urine).
- Less mental and physical activities
- Severe mood swings
How to Overcome Adverse Happenings:
These bad and adverse effects of the uterus and ovary removal may not be reversed only some good management habits can help to avoid these effects or minimize their severity.
- Healthy diet
- Appropriate exercise
- Avoid the physical work which requires extra pulling and force
- Hormonal therapy to avoid menopausal discomforts in consultation with an endocrinologist, to find endocrinologists in Islamabad, click here.
Latest posts by Tayyaba Waris (see all)
- Small Steps That Can Improve Your Health And Nutrition Immediately - January 23, 2021
- Healthy Chunks Are The Real Guards Of Heart - January 22, 2021
- 4 Reasons to Leave the Shoes at your Door Step - July 15, 2018