You have a sudden stabbing pain in head starting from near your ear at one side and feels like traveling toward eyes and back of the head. You wonder what is this? Its, a migraine, type of a headache very common in people these days. It can be triggered by many factors:
- It can be genetic
- Intolerance related to foods
- Hormonal imbalance
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Or can be due to another medical issue
- Sensitivity to light
- Due to some strong smells
It is an estimate that women are more likely to suffer more than men from a migraine and its main cause are hormones in them. As it can last forever it can make you suffer for longer periods of time. Migraines are very painful to endure and it renders you useless to work. Every person suffers from different durations and intensity.
Some of the common allied symptoms of a migraine are as follows:
- Light sensitivity
- Sound sensitivity
- Feeling dizzy
How to Manage Your Migraine:
Here are some tips on managing migraine effectively:
- You need to look at your lifestyle why you are having these headaches either you are suffering from stress, anxiety or depression, or your sleeping patterns are disturbed?
- You should strive to improve your health by eating good food and drinking more water.
- You can go for non-drug therapies too if your medication is not providing you relief from pain. Therapies include cranial therapy and acupuncture.
- If you are to go to therapist or medical expert make sure you write the number of time and duration you had a migraine. You can record the intensity of pain as well from 1 to 10 and location of pain.
- There are some foods which give allergies to some people and result in migraines you should see whether you are dehydrated or skipping meals regularly.
- Fasting and crash diets promote migraines. Avoid these if you are suffering from a migraine.
- A migraine can be due to genetics so you need to go for proper treatments.
- Don’t ignore it immediately seek medical advice. Your doctor will check blood pressure and vision also to know the cause.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your self-hydrated.
- Keep a wet towel near you it will be soothing the pain.
- Wear sunglasses when you go outside.
- Try to sleep in a quite dark room it will help with the pain.
Related: 5 Triggers and Remedies of Migraine
A migraine can only be managed, there is no proper and confirm cure for this. You can either choose to manage it with medications or with lifestyle changes so that it becomes less debilitating and less frequent.