What Is Gangrene?
Gangrene is a medical term, which is used to describe the death of an area of the body due to either a lack of blood flow or a serious bacterial infection. It commonly affects the extremities or the areas farthest from your heart including your toes, fingers, and limbs. Gangrene can even affect your internal organs.
If you have an elemental medical condition that can damage your blood vessels and affect blood flow, such as diabetes or hardened arteries (atherosclerosis), you are at higher risk to develop gangrene. Other factors that can increase your risk of developing gangrene are immunosuppression, obesity, smoking, blood vessel disease, certain drugs or injections etc. Always consult a good general physician before using any medicine. Find and consult online with the best general physician in Karachi, Lahore and other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk. As a result of getting affected by these factors death and for severe cases, amputation of a limb, finger, or toe could be necessary to save your life. Recognizing and treating the condition as fast as possible can improve your health concerns.
There are few treatment options for gangrene which include surgery that offers to remove dead tissue, antibiotics, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, tissue debridement etc. The prophecies for recovery are better if gangrene is identified early and treated quickly.
Early Symptoms Of Gangrene:
When gangrene affects your skin, indications may include:
- Skin discoloration ranging from pale to blue, purple, black, bronze or red, it usually depends on the type of gangrene you developed.
- A clearly visible line between the healthy and damaged skin.
- Sudden & severe pain followed by a feeling of numbness. You can find the best pain specialist in Lahore, Karachi and all other main cities of Pakistan via Marham.pk.
- Swelling or a pattern of blisters filled with fluid on the skin.
- A foul-smelling discharge leaking from a wound.
- Skin that feels cool or cold to the touch.
- Thin, shiny skin or skin without hair.
When To See a Doctor:
Gangrene is a severe skin condition that needs to be healed immediately after diagnosis. Visit your doctor right away, or call at Marham Health line where you may book your online health appointment with the best Skin Surgeon in Karachi or other main cities of Pakistan if you have persistent, unexplained pain in any area of your body along with one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pale skin followed by, warmth, swelling, blisters or lesions, that won’t go away.
- A foul-smelling discharge leaking from a sore continuously.
- Sudden pain at the site of recent surgery or trauma.
- Persistent fever.
- Skin that is pale, hard, cold and numb.
Consuming antibiotics before or on a post-surgery basis, under the supervision of your doctor may help you to prevent the development of gangrenous infections.