Table of Content
Wisdom teeth are the last ones to sprout. Although these do not make you any smarter these are named so as these usually show up when you are around 17-21 years old. These are molars, toughest and widest teeth that grind food. However, these are found to be missing from adult mouths nowadays because over the years our jaws have adapted according to changes in our diet.
Why Are Wisdom Tooth Extracted?
A wisdom tooth is the ones most frequently extracted compared to other molars. The main reason behind this is usually not enough space in the gum for the tooth to come out easily. Different other reasons for the wisdom tooth extraction include the following:
- Not enough space around the tooth for cleaning
- Bone loss in jaw around the tooth
- Damage to nearby teeth
Extraction of Wisdom Tooth as Precaution:
Some dentists advise removing wisdom tooth to avoid any problems in the future. You can find and consult with the best dentist in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities via Marham.pk. Conditions mentioned below may arise sometimes.
- Sometimes positioning of a wisdom tooth is as such that it can destroy the roots of nearby teeth and eat away their roots.
- Before wisdom tooth eruption tissues around it can grow into a cyst and may result in bone loss in the jaw.
- The incomplete growth of teeth can cause bacteria and plaque build up. Many healthcare practitioners and researchers do not agree to extract an otherwise healthy wisdom tooth. If your dentist suggests wisdom tooth extraction always go for a second opinion. Marham.pk is where you can easily get a second opinion online.
Coping with a Wisdom Tooth Extraction:
Depending on the location and condition of wisdom tooth two types of extractions are generally practiced. Both of these are done differently and cost differently as well. To book a surgery online log on to Marham.pk.
Must Read: 4 Best Dentists in Karachi, Pakistan
A Simple Extraction:
If you had a simple extraction which is in the case when your tooth has completely come out of the jaw. The dentist will extract it using numbing medicines and forceps. After extraction, you may feel sore and bleed for the first day following extraction.
You would have to avoid brushing for the first 24-hours. In the upcoming week gargling with warm saline water is recommended. Chewing hard coarse foods should be avoided.
Surgical Extraction of Wisdom Tooth:
If the tooth has not erupted completely and is still under the jaw it might be needed to remove surgically.
Where many dentists prefer sending such cases to an oral surgeon some still do it as a routine practice. You will be administered with medicines to make you feel less pain. The surgeon will cut open the gum and may need to break the teeth into fragments to keep the hole smaller. You can find the best dental surgeon in Karachi, Lahore or other main cities via Marham.pk.
Post-surgery it’s a better idea to have a ride home instead of driving as you will be still groggy from medicine. You might need prescription painkillers to manage pain. To speed up healing you can:
- Use a cold pack to reduce swelling and pain.
- Avoid spitting too much to keep from disturbing the blood clot formation.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid drinking hot beverages.
- Stay away from alcoholic drinks.
- Eat soft foods only.
Call your Dentist:
Call your dentist right away if you have any of the following complaints:
- If you have difficulty swallowing or breathing.
- If you feel numbness.
- If you notice pus.
- If you feel your mouth foul smelling.
- Swelling persists for more than a few days.
- High-grade fever.
- Pain does not go away after a week.
- Bleeding does not stop after a day or two. Neglecting pain and swelling may lead to grave complications.
- Always address your health issues in time.