A central nervous system is the part of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain and spinal cord. It is termed as central because it receives all the information and handles almost all basic functions of the complete body. It is responsible for proper movements of muscles, thinking and memorizing, learning, eating and swallowing, sleep and awake cycle even a simple blink of eye needed the help from this part of the nervous system.
In this abnormal medical condition, the protective membrane covering the brain and spinal cord gets inflamed.
It may be caused by
- Viral or bacterial infection
It is recognized by following symptoms
- High-grade fever
- Stiff neck
- Sensitivity to light
- Loss of appetite and thirst
It is treated according to its type
- Bacterial meningitis is treated by antibacterial drugs
- Viral meningitis is treated with antiviral drugs
- Noninfectious meningitis is treated with corticosteroids